Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-03-2006 , 06:02 PM

imported OBJ

I imported a OBJ file done done in 3dsMAX into maya. everything is fine. arranged it and performed freeze transform - suddenly the shader turns black.

assigned a new shader - nothing. another geometry in this scene is shaded correctly in the viewport. the imported one has no odd connections in the hypergraph. looks just any "normal" object. no matter what I do, viewport doesn´t shade the object correctly anymore..

what has happened?

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 2 01-03-2006 , 06:16 PM
check your normals.

use set to face and conform to sort them out (look in the polygons menus)

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 01-03-2006 , 06:28 PM
thx for your quick reply!

I guess you are right - it was something with normals. can´t tell exactly what. I mirrored the half geo - polyUnite - merged verts. this gave a very strange shading of geo like turning normals to superhard, but only the fliped side. after converting to subDiv and back to poly everthing is finde now. phew!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.