Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 03-11-2004 , 07:12 PM

still a newbe ><;;;

i have been learning 3d modeling in maya for a little about a year now, i have posted alot of projects here over that tme.
now, its been a year and i still see myself as verry much a newbe, is this normal or am i just way behined the acceloration of the normal person?
how long did it tak most of you to start being truely knolegable about it?

curriosity drove me to write this thread =P

Imagination will always lead to knowledge, while knowledge may not necessarily bring fourth imagination.
# 2 03-11-2004 , 07:26 PM
The Maya Mountain
It took me about 3 years. That's about how long it took from starting Maya for the first time, to getting my first job using it.

# 3 03-11-2004 , 08:17 PM
Subscriber
Learning maya is a slow process. 6 months after I started maya I didnt even know how to use the split poly tool user added image, so dont worry if you feel your behind with your 3d.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 4 03-11-2004 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber
<< is still noobie toouser added image

# 5 04-11-2004 , 10:42 AM
Subscriber
I've been using Maya for about 2 years and have only just started posting some of my work (the rest is too embarrassing, lol).

As the guys said, it takes time but the rewards are well worth it. user added image

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 6 04-11-2004 , 05:27 PM
i feel much better now ^^ newbies unite! lol

Imagination will always lead to knowledge, while knowledge may not necessarily bring fourth imagination.
# 7 04-11-2004 , 07:51 PM
Subscriber
Dam Stright!

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 8 04-11-2004 , 08:38 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Guys
It took me around a year to grasp Maya and the way it worked but I suppose overall it took me about 3 years to get to the point I'm at now. Also I have Maya, P/shop and SiteSpinner web site software at home now which is even better, so these days I can get stuck in and do my thing and put stuff on the forums. Its nice to be your own boss!!!
But at the end of the day its down to you how fast you wanna learn it too, I have been lucky enough to have used Maya every day at work with other people who wanted to learn it too, so it was like this family who helped each other get over the big obstacles. A bit like here.
Laters
_J

RC: How are you? Long time no speak!!

# 9 04-11-2004 , 11:37 PM
Well I started using Maya about 2 years ago – and I would still say I’m a newbie. I am at an OK stage, although I haven’t really done any big Maya projects on about 6 months, or even 1year – I don’t even remember. I’m just really focused on traditional art atm, and software is changing all the time, I’m in no real hurry to learn.

For me at this point its really just practicing to refine the CGI skills I have. I think focusing on traditional art first will make this easier for me.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 10 05-11-2004 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
i started maya 'bout a week b4 i joined this forum.

i've learned quite a bit since. but nothing to give myself an intermediate level user yetuser added image

# 11 10-11-2004 , 01:13 AM
i used bryce for a bit, then lightwave, and then maya.

Liked bryce but too limited, hated lightwave, didnt get into it, Liked maya but didnt have a powerful enough computer, most i could make was about 3000polies before it would die... had to wait about a year to get a comp...

Ive been using it for about 1 year or 2, but long gaped between use(use it for 2 months straight... then stop for 5 months, so on)

Im a noob.