Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-11-2004 , 12:05 PM

newbie having trouble with the manipulation tools

Hi all

I'm a Maya newbie and I'm having real trouble figuring out why the simplest commands have to be so complex!!

Maya doesn't really have a snap function,.....so if for example:

If I am drawing a curve and then want to snap to a middle point on another curve, or centre point of a plane/object, this just isn't possible.

OR

If I try to move 1 object vertically, for example on the y axis, AND try to snap to another plane/object in the front view at the same time.....then this isn't possible either.

I have included an image to illustrate one of the things that I am having difficulty doing. Hopefully someone can put me out of my misery??

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 10-11-2004 , 05:16 PM
there are a few snap functions maya has. the ones you would probably want to use are the vertex snap and grid snap. Basically you select the verticies you want to move then hold X for the grid snap and click the Middle mouse button and drag it up and it will snap all of them to the next grid row. Or you can select one verticie and hold V and middle mouse drag and snap it right to another point.