Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 21-08-2006 , 03:48 PM

Assigning a material please help

i am new to maya so sorry if this is a dumb question.

i have a cube that i want to assign a material to but i only want it on the front and back sides how do i do this???
thanks for your help

Dave user added image

# 2 21-08-2006 , 03:56 PM
Select the faces, backclick and select 'assign new material', then pick a material from the list.

user added image

# 3 21-08-2006 , 04:15 PM
thanks,

ok what if i have a material assigned to all 6 sides, but want to remove it from all the sides except the front and back. so when it renders you only see the two sides and the others are transparent???

# 4 21-08-2006 , 05:15 PM
all objects come with a pre assigned material - 'lambert 1'.

Just select the faces that you want to be transparent, assign a material and increase the material's transparency via the slider in the attribute section. Then pick the other front and back faces and assign a new material and adjust the attributes to your liking.

Texturing is pretty complicated - I am just giving you an easy way to achieve what you are trying to do - the best thing to do is find a good texturing tutorial - this one is pretty good and should explain the basics.

https://www.ramyhanna.com/texturing/p...utorial01.html

Good luck! user added image

# 5 21-08-2006 , 06:49 PM
Thanks So Much

user added image