Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 30-09-2007 , 09:12 AM

Changing UI Color

I finally found out how to change the Maya UI color. I felt pretty dumb when I really found out how to do it... Anyway, I changed the color, but there are still some spots where the color didn't change. Anybody know why?

Attached Images

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 2 30-09-2007 , 09:33 AM
Could be your graphics card, I got them with my Radion X1300 on one of my old PC's

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 30-09-2007 , 09:51 AM
I found the problem. I just had to restart Maya, since I made the change while it was running. But I still cant change the menu color.

Attached Images

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

# 4 30-09-2007 , 09:54 AM

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by AnthonyCg; 30-09-2007 at 09:57 AM.
# 5 30-09-2007 , 07:42 PM
I'm assuming that Windows isn't letting you change the menu color from the settings box. So what do we do?

(If I misundersood 'can't change menu color', just scream at me user added image )

1. Run regedit

2. Find the 'color' folder in current_user - it should be there. Otherwise use the search command to do so.

3. There should be a bunch of labels with names refering to the interface like label, buttons and stuff, followed by a values listing the rgb like this 255 255 255.

4. Find the label that refers to the menu. Obviously, it should be 'menu'

5. Just change those rgb values into whatever you want by typing in new ones. I would choose a color I like by using a colour wheel in ps or paint, and then copy and paste the rgb numbers.

5. Save the registry and reboot to see the changes.

Doing this could be risky, and I may have left out some info or used the wrong terminology since I now use Fedora and my XP box is not working. I would also back up the registry as well before changing anything.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 6 01-10-2007 , 02:06 PM
The pc I was using was a school one, so I don''t have administrative privalages on it. Will I stil be able to run regedit?

# 7 01-10-2007 , 05:46 PM
AnthonyCg >' The pc I was using was a school one, so I don''t have administrative privalages on it. Will I stil be able to run regedit?'

If its a school computer then you really shouldn't try what I said. Admins are very protective of the regedit program since you can control a lot of things from there like system security.

# 8 01-10-2007 , 06:27 PM
Acid44
might be a dumb question itself but... how do you change the ui colour?user added image

btw im pretty sure you need an admin account to run regedituser added image

# 9 08-10-2007 , 01:25 PM
@acid
Control Panel-->Display, then click the appearance tab and click the advanced button. Next, click on the OK button in the message box. This will actually change the color of all "Windows 95" looking menus like Maya has. It didn't change Internet Explorer though. Color 1 will change most UI programs' colors to blue. Beware, as once you change it, it can't be set back to the default color. DON'T CHANGE COLOR 2 BECAUSE IT WILL MESS UP THE FONT.

@architect
Yeah, I forgot about that. I can't use my Zune as a flash drive because of that. I only bought it for its 30gigs. It's virtually useless now.

Last edited by AnthonyCg; 08-10-2007 at 01:30 PM.
# 10 08-10-2007 , 01:30 PM
AnthonyCg > 'Beware, as once you change it, it can't be set back to the default color. Don't change color 2, cause it'll mess up the font.'

Really? I thought all you had to do was go into the 'themes' tab, select windows default, click apply and ok and it will be the same as before. Gotta try that myself one day...

If anybody wants to try modifying everything, try what I said before with regedit.

# 11 08-10-2007 , 01:33 PM
Didn't think about that. Theoretically it should work, but this is Microsoft we're talking about. Don't know if it's necessary, but you could set a system restore point just in case.

# 12 08-10-2007 , 01:37 PM
You can also change all the backgorund colours (say form grey to black) etc in maya, cant remember of the top of my head what you do to get to it but its not too hard and its stored in your pref's.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 13 08-10-2007 , 01:38 PM
AnthonyCg > 'Theoretically it should work, but this is Microsoft we're talking about.'

lol, good point. user added image