Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 26-04-2008 , 02:03 AM

From the makers of.. "So My kittens ruined the day!"

hey guys, i thought you might like to take a look at the sample piece i made for my application to JMC Acadamy. tell me what you think, weather i can make any improvement, if you can think of a cool story to go with the chars, or weather the are good or pure poo lol user added image

just copy and paste this link to youtube user added image or click it if it comes up as a link lol

(PS ill be your best friend if you leave me a comment lol even if its a shit one user added image)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP55vHQa7uc

# 2 26-04-2008 , 03:01 AM
Well first of all I do think its unneccary to reapet the animations. There is alot of improvment to be made, for example the topology for the face is rather off if you ask me, and the half torso half robot scares me a bit. user added image

Here is an example of what I did to my application for a 3d school here in sweden.

user added image

As you can see its not perfect(especially around the mouth that I did some fixes to before sending it) But still get references of what sort of topology other people used and learn from it, that is how I did and I've improved alot, trust me. user added image

If you got the time then you should post them induvidualy in the wip section and improve them one after another. But I can guess that time is not on your side.

And regarding the stone fire lightning man I think that they can easily see how you made it and realise how easy it is, if they dont know that then I recomend that you search to another school. user added image I dont think it is a point in showering your work with one click effects but thats just my opinion.

Otherwise its some good work and I have no clues what standards they have in the acadamy but I do hope that you get in.

Best of luck! Both to you and me. user added image

# 3 26-04-2008 , 03:17 AM

:) thanks for the input

i agree with everything you just said mate user added image

The face i modeled didnt turn out as i had hoped, the nose ridge was all wrong, and if i had displayed it on an angle you would see the eyes /sockets were... um bodgy also.

The half man robo dude is scary, and i dont know why i put him in there he was a failed project, but i needed filler.. lol

The ball man was incredibly simple to make, it only took me 1 day for the finished product which says it all, however, that to a degree was half the point of the character. i wanted to make a character that was simple yet have a little character to it..

and yeah i did repeat the 2 main ones alot the the ball man and the robot, and to be honest, i cheated with the robot, he took me about 3 weeks to model and i tried to make him run around but i couldnt figure it out, so i cheated and attached his legs to motion paths in a 24 frame circuit, i would much rather have animated him in a longer sequence however, my know how of maya atm is extreemly limited, i've only been using it for 1-2 monthsish.

this does seem like kinda bodgy work, and to a degree it is, as i decided to apply for JMC acadamy about 3 weeks ago... and the course starts on june 10th, so ive been in a rush to get them model'd

i also screwed up the face for modeling..
i have a cat that likes to jump on the keyboard alot, so inturn i save things alot ( cat has a "delete button fetish") so i did a quick smoothe on the face to see how it was going then i saved it out of habit.. and i dont know how to unsmoothe the face ... lol terrible

Thanks for your input, and i will be tryng to refine these guys more when i get the fullversion... (looking foward to it, does the full version , Maya complete 8.5 or what ever come with training dvd's?) i heard that ple files cant be opened in F/Version so i dont want to go nuts and have to start again.

# 4 26-04-2008 , 04:03 AM
Well first of all its very easy to unsmooth a object, you just have to select the object then open the attribute editor(CTR+A) then just find the "polysmooth" or whatever its called and select division level 0, here you can just select a higher level instead of smothing a object several times.

And dont litter your application with things that you think is crap. user added image

And you're lucky that you dont have to send the application at april as we in Sweden have to, you should take this months to try to dig in to those areas for example topology or robot making. You will miss some foundation but hey, you're education is far more important right? user added image

EDIT: You cant open PLE files or export using PLE this is to prevent people from making their files in PLE then borrow a full version for a day to remove the watermark,

Last edited by Weyu; 26-04-2008 at 04:07 AM.