Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 22-07-2010 , 01:14 PM
Subscriber

Little annoyance

Hi guys,
I been having a little issue with maya lately.
It seem that I cannot change the selection mask mode to "object" the default is "All Objects".
When I try switching this to "initial default" it goes back to "All Objects"
Its annoying when I am selecting an objects verticies in component mode. Its selecting everything.

How can I reset the "initial default" to be "Object" again?

# 2 22-07-2010 , 01:19 PM
Subscriber
the area I am referring too.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 22-07-2010 , 03:38 PM
wow, that is weird. I don't use selection masks but originally I thought that "all objects" meant that all objects were selectable, not that it would actually select everything. Nonetheless, I'll see if I can recreate the problem on my computer.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 22-07-2010 , 03:50 PM
Subscriber
its a little difficult to explain.
In this example,
When I go in component mode and select the cube's vertex, I also select the sphere behind it.

In "object mode " I used to select the vertex without interfering with any other object in the scene.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 22-07-2010 , 03:55 PM
EduSciVis-er
Random idea: Hit F8 a few times?
This happens in a new scene (with restarted maya?)

# 6 22-07-2010 , 04:07 PM
Subscriber
ok I find out something else.
when i select an object, then right click and select vertex. Maya does'nt automatically puts me in component mode. therefore when I select the vertices of the object I also select the stuff around it.
My other computer system goes into component mode automatically.
Is there a setting I need to turn on for that?

# 7 22-07-2010 , 04:12 PM
Ok, I see what you mean now. Try switching from All objects to Polygons. Then try switching from polygons to default. You will probably have to click on the "select by object type" icon afterwards. If that doesn't work try switching to default from animation, etc. Hopefully one of them will allow the default "objects" to activate.

If I switch to anything other than polygons or animation, then I can't switch back to objects. I have to switch to polygons or animation, and then switch back to default. Weird for sure. Hopefully yours can be fixed in the same way. That would TOTALLY be annoying always selecting other objects like that.

If it doesn't work, you could always switch to polgons until you find a fix.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 8 22-07-2010 , 04:27 PM
I couldn't find any settings anywhere to make it switch to component mode.

If you havn't remapped, then you could always use F8 for object mode, F9 to switch to verts, F10 for edges and F11 for faces. Those will switch you to component mode.

The other good thing about using F9, F10 and F11 is that it's easy to convert a selection. For example..

I have a cylinder with no end cap so I can't secect the top edge loop without having to click on EVERY edge. But I can press F11 and select the top face, then press ctrl and F10 to switch from the face to all the edges surrounding the face. It's really quick. It works with ctrl-F9 and ctrl_F11 too.

Exceed Expectations!
# 9 23-07-2010 , 03:12 AM
Subscriber
@Perfecto - Thanks a bunch for your assistance. but I tried everything and it still doesn't switch on its own. I guess I just have to use the F keys on this machine.
Thanks anyway
user added image