Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 03-07-2012 , 08:41 PM
Lifetime Member

No Entry

The end result of an exercise to see if I could create an outdoor environment without using MR sun&sky.

Attached Thumbnails

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 2 04-07-2012 , 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Nice render, the reflections are subtle and imperfect, I like that. The material on the yellow door frame seems really perfect and saturated though.

- Genny
# 3 04-07-2012 , 06:19 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Genny, the yellow is a bit too much. Still coming to grips with linear workflow.

# 4 04-07-2012 , 10:40 PM
Technical Director
It looks like it's on the side of an IKEA store user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 05-07-2012 , 05:55 AM
Lifetime Member
It actually does user added image

# 6 15-07-2012 , 04:24 PM
Lifetime Member
Continuing my exercises with different lights. For this I used two area lights behind some translucent white plastic covers combined with a portal light in the window. The outside is deliberately overexposed. I am thinking of converting the image to B&W. Comments/critique on the lighting?

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 15-07-2012 , 09:05 PM
The thin red line
Nice render Pixal............dave

# 8 16-07-2012 , 01:10 AM
Lifetime Member
nice mate, looks like what I see every 2 weeks, the inside of an aircraft early morning LOL...minus the tmber floors

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 16-07-2012 , 04:43 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks gents

# 10 16-07-2012 , 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
I think the background should be overexposed a bit depending on what exposure you needed to balance things out but I do think it may be too much especially with the sheer amount of artificial light that's supposed to be in the room.

- Genny
# 11 16-07-2012 , 05:40 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Genny. Just the backgound or the "light" reflected in as well? For the first I can adjust the transparency of the portal light. If the latter then intensity as well.

# 12 16-07-2012 , 10:18 PM
Super Moderator
Hmm, I wouldn't say its just the background. Staring at it more, I noticed the light is pretty uniformed from front to back and if I put my palm over the window and its reflection on the floor, it looks like it could be night time because the artificial light seems to be overpowering the sunlight even near the window which creates a very subtle oddity since daytime sunlight, in my observations, tends to dominate the artificial stuff. Plus the color temps from both sources look about the same, which obscures the sunlight more, like its not really making its way into the room.

I've recently started (especially with the physical sky) avoiding increasing the actual portal light intensity and instead have the exposure node compensate, and then there is the issue of Maya light intensities and real world equivalencies ha!

- Genny
# 13 17-07-2012 , 05:19 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Genny. It really helps having other people take a look. It is so easy to get engrossed in the detail of the scene that one looses the bigger picture. The critique is appreciated.

I see your point about the outside light not having much of an influence. The effect I'm going for is to have the exposure set correctly for the indoor lights. The inside walls should be white or almost white. The window area should then be overexposed, but by how much is one of my problems.

The indoor area lights are using a blackbody set to 7000K. And just to complicate things a bit more: they have linear decay with the intensity on the BB set to 15.

There is no direct sunlight coming in. There is only reflected light from a partially overcast sky (IBL). I was relying on the IBL/portal light to give the correct outside color temp (8000-10000K) but it appears not to be the case. Can a BB plugged into the environment of the portal light be a possible alternative?

# 14 17-07-2012 , 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
I'm not quite sure what you meant by:

The effect I'm going for is to have the exposure set correctly for the indoor lights.

I'm taking that you mean intensity because when I see `exposure`, I'm thinking the actual setting on the Maya camera via one of MR's exposure nodes.

I don't really use the blackbody, I thought it was the same as the mib_cie but I think the cie looks better even though it's temperature is bit more limited but it doesn't really bother me. When it comes to intensity however, that's where the real headache starts because Maya light intensity doesn't correspond to any real world units so you're left to pretty much eyeball it til it looks good. It would be great to enter intensity values with some kind of mathematical accuracy(I've given up hope of it also being user friendly) and then fiddle with the camera's exposure to get light balance you want but nope!(well, at least not that I know of) Also, quadratic decay is closer to real world light fall off than linear and yes you can plug a blackbody into the env channel of the portal light node.

- Genny
# 15 18-07-2012 , 04:24 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Genny. You understood correctly. I'm just used to using the photographic names when it comes to lights and lenses.

I have a couple of things to tinker with now. I wonder if the sunny f16 rule holds true in Maya?