Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 01-09-2003 , 03:29 PM
Subscriber
Well, I think I'll be joining this one. This is right up my alley.

# 17 01-09-2003 , 03:30 PM
The Maya Mountain
Cool, Darkware. user added image

# 18 01-09-2003 , 03:43 PM
I'm in with Concept #3: Character Environment with a Celtic flair user added image

# 19 01-09-2003 , 03:46 PM
Subscriber

OK I'm in....

Cheers for the Triangulate and Tools tips :-

So If I get you right, we aren't supposed to copy the images, just pick one 'Type/Genre' out of the 4 possibillity's
and do something 'original' but of the same 'feel'/'look' of the 4 options. Making them into a sort of Portfolio to show to the respective buyer (Mike) All with a Low res/poly game aspects..

I won't post into challenge yet, because I want to try a Character, but it may mess up, so then would probably want to swap to another.

Better sharpen my pencil's .....

Last edited by Scraggy_Dogg; 01-09-2003 at 03:54 PM.
# 20 01-09-2003 , 03:53 PM
The Maya Mountain
also, don't forget to choose a type of game that you are developing for! user added image

You would use the concepts as a "style guide" so to speak. The robot thing, for example. You create your own, but make sure they could be sitting right next to the one in the pic and look like it fits.

Same with the barbarian guy. Make sure yours looks like he'd be in the same tribe.

That sort of thing.

# 21 01-09-2003 , 04:17 PM
Subscriber
And for those of you who still are in the dark about "what to model" or what your final result should be, I think I can explain a little more.

When I see the "action environment" picture (the first image posted in this thread that looks like a base in the mountains) I'm not supposed to model the EXACT thing. That is the concept drawing. When I see it, I'm supposed to say, "ok, boss wants a base level in the mountains with guns, a few seperate building connected by tunnel things, and the theme is supposed to be 'high tech'". The only purpose of the image is to give me ideas.

# 22 01-09-2003 , 04:19 PM
The Maya Mountain
exactly.

Sometimes, a director may say, "I like how that satellite dish looks, so make it like that." But most of the time, you've got a lot of freedom. user added image

# 23 01-09-2003 , 06:24 PM
Good luck to competitors. user added image
Have fun!

# 24 01-09-2003 , 08:17 PM
Subscriber
A question: it looks like we are picking one out of four concepts to do (more if possible) and we can do it in one of the five genres given? But the first two concepts already had "action" genre specified.

Last edited by HappyLemon; 01-09-2003 at 08:26 PM.
# 25 01-09-2003 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber
I don't really think Mike intended for "action environment" to specify a genre. He's just saying that the environment looks like it might be out of an action game perhaps. You could use that concept for many genres in my opinion; all of the ones Mike listed in his first post for sure.

Still, I may be completely wrong.

# 26 01-09-2003 , 09:09 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Darkware, I've chosen concept one and overhead RPG genre. Let's have fun!

# 27 01-09-2003 , 09:56 PM
The Maya Mountain
Oh, sorry about that. When I said "Action" environment, I meant that would be an environment where fighting would probably be taking place, whether it was real time action, turn-based RPG, or whatever. user added image

By "Action Character" I simply meant some kind of fighter.

While on the subject, "Character Environment" means an NPC village where minimal fighting takes place, and is mostly for the player to interact with shopkeepers, towns people, etc.

"Evil Robots." Kinda self-explanatory, but again, not specified for any particular genre. user added image

# 28 01-09-2003 , 10:13 PM
The Maya Mountain
RULE ADDITION:

Make sure that any sort of entryway is at least 6 units (6 feet/2 meters) tall, and 4 units (4 feet/1.3 meters) across. Feel free to make them larger if you'd like.

# 29 01-09-2003 , 10:16 PM
The Maya Mountain
DISCLAIMER:

I just realized that there are some people who may think that I'm fishing for ideas, seeing as I'm in the game industry. I want to go on record now as saying that in no way, shape, or form, will any of your ideas show up in any commercial or non-commercial product I am involved in!

Although some of you might not mind so much, some of you probably would, so just wanted to make that clear! user added image

# 30 01-09-2003 , 10:44 PM
Subscriber
Yeah, if you wanted ideas there are much faster ways to get them than waiting an entire month for challenge entries to pile up for you to steal. lol.