Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 30-10-2004 , 12:40 AM

Stereoscopic movies in maya

guess the title pretty much sums it up. Does anyone know how to create stereoscopic movies with maya (movies that don't require more than simple blue red goggles to see them truly 3d).
Is there a plugin i can use, or a script???

# 2 30-10-2004 , 12:54 AM
you could recreate it if you understand how they do it in reality and recreate the effect.

# 3 30-10-2004 , 05:34 PM
Well, I don't know the details of how they do it.
Any tips?

# 4 30-10-2004 , 06:39 PM
I read somewhere that if you use a program like After Effects for video (or photoshop for stills), just move the red channel a tad out of position (experiement with this). I haven't tested this myself, yet.

Good luck.

"We don't actually need to know that the main character has a past. All we need to know is that he has an objective and a lot of people are going to die and a lot of innocent inanimate objects are going to be destroyed and blown up before he can complete that objective."

Last edited by Lifire; 30-10-2004 at 06:45 PM.
# 5 31-10-2004 , 04:08 AM
Subscriber
the way it works in real life is: they film the movie with 2 different cameras, one with a blue filter, and one with a red filter. Then they go into something like after effects and compose the film from each camera into one comp. To the naked eye it looks scrambled but put on some red/blue glasses and there you go. This is how I have been told it was done so I am not 100% sure. and as for doing it in maya I have no clue. But with this info you might could figure it out in After Effects.

# 6 31-10-2004 , 02:24 PM
Thanks everybody. That much i already know. Does anyone know how far from each other and the scene the cameras should be?

# 7 31-10-2004 , 07:48 PM
Der Kaiser is right as far as i know.

The camaras are filmed Right next to each other(the camaras act like your eyes) Camara on the left should have a blue filter i bilieve and camara on the right should be red. The the goggles should either be the same, or opposite.

# 8 04-11-2004 , 10:29 PM
Don't know if you've got this working yet, but I just noticed that in the Maya Bonus Tools that you can download from Alias.com, there is a feature called Create Stereo Camera. Mine seems to be broken, but you could look into that.

If you get it working, could you let us know what you did?

Best of luck.

-dann

# 9 05-11-2004 , 09:53 AM
I'll get right on it!!!