Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 05-05-2010 , 03:06 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

psu

hi guys
wanted to upgrade my power supply is there anything major i should know before upgrading
thanks in advance

# 2 05-05-2010 , 04:24 PM
EduSciVis-er
Well, of course figure out how much power you'll need, which mostly depends on your gfx card/cards...
Also modular or non-modular... modular means you can disconnect unneeded cables.
Efficiency, if that is important to you, look for an 80+ unit, with bronze, silver, and gold ratings.
Read buyers reviews, e.g. @ newegg.com

Hope that helps, and good luck!

As an example, I bought a Corsair HX750W modular PSU, with very high efficiency (>90%) 750W being more than enough for my needs. ~$200

# 3 05-05-2010 , 04:35 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
yeah i got a new gpu for my modelling computer just done some research on it so all i need to do is switch the psu ?

# 4 05-05-2010 , 04:37 PM
EduSciVis-er
I guess so... how much power does your new gpu require? Are you ever planning to get a dual-gpu setup?

# 5 05-05-2010 , 05:35 PM
Subscriber
F.Y.I. Sli / Crossfire setups for Modeling purposes are a waste of both system resources and money, they don't make up enough speed really to actually be worth the cost of purchasing two cards and a psu to run them both.

Its better to just buy one really nice card.

If you want to game, then yes it would be better, as SLI / Crossfire setups will actually divide the workload of a game, I.E. for nvidia cards, one card is dedicated to rendering the game, the other would be dedicated to calculating the Physix engine if the game comes with one...

Maya doesn't take advantage of SLI / Crossfire, unfortunately, ( unless 2011 does? )

g-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 6 05-05-2010 , 07:05 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
no gaming just for modelling it has a pathetic e2180 processor i got a hd4830 for about 100 usd its previous card was a 8600gs so i needed to uprgrade i have just switched the psu and everything is working fine
thanks all.