Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 11-05-2004 , 04:50 AM

texture on bevelled polygon cube

When I create a polygon cube and map a file texture to it, it shows the texture, but when I bevel the same polygon, the texture dissappears!

flabbergasted, and would love to hear some comments on that.

thanks

A conscious power has drawn the plan of life...
# 2 11-05-2004 , 11:06 AM
Yep Maya does that.... bug or something stupid.... I think Maya 6.0 solve this problem....

# 3 11-05-2004 , 11:28 AM
you shouldnt be texturing anything until you've fnished modelling so I dont see why this would be a problem... do the bevel then apply the texture.

Basically you are altering the uv layout so I'm not surprised that the texture disappears user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 11-05-2004 , 11:44 AM
Pure_Morning: I apply the texture AFTER I do the bevel. I must be missing something simple, but beats me!

# 5 11-05-2004 , 01:20 PM
that's not what you said:

When I create a polygon cube and map a file texture to it, it shows the texture, but when I bevel the same polygon, the texture dissappears!

and my point about the uvs still stands. You need to remap the object to get the texture to appear I would think. Hit automatic mapping and see what happens.

Alan

IMDB
# 6 11-05-2004 , 02:18 PM
The Maya Mountain
Yep, any time you add geometry to something usin bevel or extrude or whatever, it doesn't come with UV coordinates. Once the model is done, the next step is UV mapping, and THEN texturing.

# 7 11-05-2004 , 02:30 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Yep, any time you add geometry to something usin bevel or extrude or whatever, it doesn't come with UV coordinates. Once the model is done, the next step is UV mapping, and THEN texturing.

not entirely true mike. ... but who cares. finish all modeling b4 u texture.

# 8 11-05-2004 , 02:41 PM
The Maya Mountain
well, it has been true for all my own experiences, I'll put it that way.

# 9 12-05-2004 , 07:50 AM
alan: yes, i owe an explanation: i had initially textured, then beveled. After your first post, though, i had tried bevelling and then texturing, and still got the same problem. but your suggestion of trying automatic worked! thanks for helping me along - maya is so vast that it is seems never ending.

all: thanks for the help - much appreciated!

# 10 12-05-2004 , 12:47 PM
The Maya Mountain
One thing to keep in mind, while auto mapping for a beveled cube might be fine, for complicated objects, you want to be pretty deliberate about how your UVs are placed. user added image

Keep it up!

# 11 12-05-2004 , 02:29 PM
yes I should have been more clear. The automatic mapping thing was just to show you that it's not a bug it's just that the UVs are messed up. As mike said you need to really spend time getting your UVs sorted properly once you are done modelling.

Alan

IMDB
# 12 13-05-2004 , 10:21 AM
thanks all!

Diving into yet another unexplored area...