Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 13-06-2007 , 09:17 AM
Subscriber

Idea

Hey i was thinking of an idea ....

what if (for the next chellenge) there were teams.... like mabye 2 teams or teams of 2 or 3.... somthing with teams would be cool.

just an idea.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 2 13-06-2007 , 09:19 AM
The Maya Mountain
that has been considered before. The only issue really is the possibility that someone's teammate might not do their part and complete their side of the work, harming the other team member(s) efforts.

# 3 13-06-2007 , 09:21 AM
Subscriber
True, true but what it there were like only 2 or 3 teams then? Would it still effect?

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 4 13-06-2007 , 10:04 AM
Subscriber
theres also the problem of software/hardware with that idea

shame though because there are loads of people here with off the wall ideas i would like to work with here.

is there a place in the forum for challenge ideas ???
apart from the battle arena - a place to give mike a break from thinking up the wonderful challenages

Last edited by tweetytunes; 13-06-2007 at 10:08 AM.
# 5 13-06-2007 , 12:07 PM
Acid44
i vote yes on... ummm... 243? as long as i can be on jsproggs team:p

# 6 13-06-2007 , 04:47 PM
Subscriber
I dont think software would be too much of an issue. Obj is a fairly universal file and that would work on all versions.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 7 13-06-2007 , 05:27 PM
Acid44
buddy jesus is right:p

# 8 13-06-2007 , 05:57 PM
Subscriber
take the steam punk challenge. Mike was going to get us all to swap models - but ditched the idea because of the software issues.

Obj are rubbish as a file type if you need the to have separate parts to it. Mayas separate tools does not always work and you lose any group/laying with them.

Also hardware wise I`m better my quad core pc could take the heaviest of models but I`m betting that others could not even open some of the files I work with, without crashing maya. I`m not trying to be like "My PC better than yours" or anything but thats just the it is sometimes.

The only way a challenge like this could work is if there was a lot of restrictions on it. One of the reasons I like the challenges here is because they are quit relaxed here on the rules.

# 9 13-06-2007 , 07:14 PM
Subscriber

shame though because there are loads of people here with off the wall ideas i would like to work with here.

is there a place in the forum for challenge ideas ???
apart from the battle arena - a place to give mike a break from thinking up the wonderful challenages

why dont you just create a Collaborative forum thread user added image so that people can create, join team projects etc etc if you get what i mean ...

# 10 13-06-2007 , 07:54 PM
Acid44
that would be a damn good idea:bow:

# 11 13-06-2007 , 08:30 PM
Senior Software Developer
The reason that the Steampunk Challenge died in its original format is due to the fact the people were not willing to pass over their models. Not ideal as this is what would happen if you were freelancing or working in a studio. But it was a good challenge and I enjoyed it.

I think the Collaboration Thread would be a nice idea. Gster and I are currently working on a project, that was gonna be entered into the CGTalk Challenge, but it wont meet the deadline. This kinda of Thread is ideal for those who want to get involved and work with each other on small simple projects.

For the admins there is a minimal addition to the work load as it will only require moderating.

I say go for it.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 12 13-06-2007 , 09:52 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by R@nSiD
The reason that the Steam-punk Challenge died in its original format is due to the fact the people were not willing to pass over their models.

I would have handed over my file if I could as a mb/ma file. The file contained 24 layers and a number of different groups. all of that would have been lost and also when i test the separate on the obj file things where not separating probably. That would have made uv mapping next to impossible

i would have loved to have seen vanship textured by some one.

Originally posted by R@nSiD
I think the Collaboration Thread would be a nice idea. This kinda of Thread is ideal for those who want to get involved and work with each other on small simple projects.

For the admin`s there is a minimal addition to the work load as it will only require moderating.

I say go for it.

I would love a Collaboration Thread as well. - if any one needs some help with a project feel free to hit me up any time

Last edited by tweetytunes; 13-06-2007 at 10:39 PM.
# 13 13-06-2007 , 10:17 PM
Jr.Who
I would love if there were more challenges than every 2-3 months.
user added image

# 14 14-06-2007 , 12:07 AM
collaborating on projects is the way to go in my opinion because you can do bigger and better projects in the same timeframe. That's how they make movies anyway. I think an important part of it is finding out each persons strengths and matching them up accordingly (ie. designing, sketching, modeling, texturing, lighting, and rendering). A great collaboration would be a team that has a decent mixture of all those talents, or at least most of them.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 15 14-06-2007 , 02:16 AM
Subscriber
I would like to flag openness for collabs too.

I am not sure how as these challenges are for all skill levels and a big part of them is to learn something new.
Randomized teams, and only let people willing to share, teach and/or be taught in.
Maybe randomize some teams around one pre-determined lead with more experience? I'm not sure.

It'd be cool to take it to a point where more research and development is necessary.
As has been mentioned there are problems around it. Time, effort, experience, version mismatches (funny how this should be a problem but it's reality). Communication and developing a pipeline could be part of the challenge though.

Sorry nothing overly constructive here. Just blurbs.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy