Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 20-05-2006 , 10:20 PM
Subscriber

Question about downloading tutorials from a newbie

Hi,

I'm new to these forums....I searched to see if I could find the answer but I couldn't so I thought I'd post here and ask here.

I've bought videos from simplylightwave before and have liked them but now I want to buy some videos from here cus I'm slowly learning Maya.

My question is about the new DVD offer for the GI modeling and texturing tutorial.

I'm slightly confused about the offer because I want to download the tutorials, not really sure I can wait for it to be mailed to me.

This is what the site says: GI Modelling Texturing Special Offer tutorial | Discount 30% | Discounted Points Cost 54 | You save 23 Points.

This means that the cost after the offer is 54 points. But for the DVD the price is: $87.75 Delivered or 61 points Including US delivery.

So I'm not sure how that works....I thought it was 3-5 points for shipping anywhere....why is it 8 more points for the DVD.

Also, the texturing DVD is 10 hours - just like the videos you can download....but the tutorial says its not complete....it says that new parts will be added soon....what does that mean. If the texturing tutorial series is not complete how can they be making the DVDs and posting them....

Sorry if these are a lotta questions....but I'm really interested in the series because I like that sort of style and I like the texture so I think it'll be good.

Thanks.

# 2 21-05-2006 , 10:04 AM
Subscriber
Uh, can someone please answer these questions....I really want to buy the two tutorials as soon as possible but I wanna know about these things first. I'm just confused about the texturing DVDs and want to know what I'm paying for before I buy them cus it says its not complete.
Thanks

# 3 21-05-2006 , 05:08 PM
Subscriber
cant u just add all the parts to ur DVDr that means 1 shipping payment and then click download once uve ordered as u can download ones uve bought for free

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 4 21-05-2006 , 05:42 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Rafis

I have looked at the offers and the Gi Bundle is 48 english pounds or 57 points all in. So to me the maths is already done for you, as for the rest of the tute being incomplete Im not so sure, I have mailed David (admin) to check this all for you anyway

Be patient a little longer

Jay

# 5 22-05-2006 , 12:30 PM
SM Tea Boy

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 6 23-05-2006 , 01:54 AM
Subscriber
Hey,

Thanks for doing that....I was just a bit confused. Anyway, I'm just gonna buy the entire series and download it....don't really need to have it on DVD.

I also have another question about the tutorial: uh, its a sorta stupid question but I want to be sure before I buy it so I'm gonna ask and it'll be cool if someone can explain.

There's a really small explaination about the methods covered in the texturing tutorial. Can someone tell me a little more about what it shown in the creating uvs part. I know its intermediate but I wanted to know if the tutorial will cover things like unwrapping, sewing and changing uvs.

Also, are there any creation of expressions for the character in the modeling tutorial or is it modeled with the same expression.

Thanks.

# 7 23-05-2006 , 01:55 AM
Subscriber
Sorry, but I just wanted to ask if someone could tell whoever made these tutorials that I really like their style of character.

# 8 23-05-2006 , 07:58 AM
Rafis

As far as I can remember from doing the tute, it does cover sewing uvs and projecting and tweaking them.

as for character expressions, This is the only one for this model, though there is something 'in the works' for character expressions using Blendshapes

Glad you like the tute

Many thanks

Jay

# 9 23-05-2006 , 08:59 AM
Subscriber
Ok, so you made this. Wow....feels a bit embarrased. But I really like this style. Its sorta the stylised human, kinda like the old batman cartoon series, with exaggerated shapes. I really like it and I find that its easier to animate characters well with stylised characters.

Anyway, about the tutorial, I hope its really good cus I really wanna make characters like that....and I'm really bad at texturing so I hope I'm able to learn stuff. I'm a newbie with maya so I know it'll be difficult but if I have any problems I'll ask questions.

# 10 23-05-2006 , 09:00 AM
Subscriber
Just checked your website....you really have some great stuff there

# 11 23-05-2006 , 09:29 AM
Thanks Rafis

Yeah its me...Jason is my dvd cover name LOL I'm in disguise!! Another Jason, to go alongside the great Jasons of 3d ie: Schleifer, Busby and Osipa to name a few LOL

As with anyone else whos learning Maya, please drop your questions on the forum in the appropriate area as theres plenty of great people here who'll gladly help out

Best
Jay

# 12 24-05-2006 , 06:31 AM
Subscriber
Hey Jay,

Yeah, I know the buzz....he's really good lol. And now I'll be learning from youuser added image

Going to buy the DVD soon....will let you know if I wanna ask something.

Rafi.

# 13 24-05-2006 , 06:32 AM
Subscriber
Btw, I have a really slow connection so I'll be buying the modeling and the texturing tutorials today but I hope I can download them slowly and buy the entire thing today.

# 14 24-05-2006 , 10:28 AM
SM Tea Boy

Originally posted by RafiS
Btw, I have a really slow connection so I'll be buying the modeling and the texturing tutorials today but I hope I can download them slowly and buy the entire thing today.

Order them on DVD mate.

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"