Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 18-12-2012 , 05:20 PM

Flickering/ buzzing textures

Hi,

I think this is more than likely a old issue that has been asked before but I did not see a thread on it.

I am pretty new to rendering in Maya. My habit has been to use texture files applied to default shader materials and in some cases bump maps. Generally I either use a default fractal bump or I use the same image as the texture file but in grey and with contrast adjusted. I only adjust the UV repeats in the placement settings until I get a look that is ok. I am talking things like grass or asphalt-not textures that need careful placement.

In Sketchup for instance I can do roughly the same thing and the textures give no problems with and animated camera but in Maya they flicker, buzz, look like TV static-whatever you want to think of it as-when the camera moves.

This also happened when I used a grass shader I downloaded. I am using Mental Ray but this occurs with Maya software as well. I am not sure if this is because of my rudimentary way of applying textures or what. I imagine there are better ways to apply textures but I just want to spread out a grass texture like a carpet. Can someone suggest a solution or tutorial that will help me understand this issue relatively quickly as I have a quick turn around on this project.

This seems to be a common problem and solutions vary from deleting history, to changing projection settings to baking textures. Not sure which rabbit hole to go down. user added image

Thanks!

# 2 18-12-2012 , 06:47 PM
Technical Director
Can you post an image?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 18-12-2012 , 07:44 PM
Sure you bet-I have a clip too but I will see if I can upload it as it may be too big. But suffice to say the grass area/asphalt and roof tops in this image are all buzzing.

user added image

BTW I know the model looks blown out-I hadn't corrected gamma for physical sky before I rendered this but the problem remains after.

Thanks!