Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 29-02-2012 , 02:21 PM
The thin red line
Some thing sounds wrong there, it should only select lattice points, right click over it and select lattice points you some time have to get over the lattice only...........dave

# 17 01-03-2012 , 04:28 AM
Here's what I think I've discoverd. If the object your deforming with the lattice is itself in object mode, then when you group select lattice points and those points sit over the body of the object, it won't work correctly.
If the object is instead set to face (non-object mode), then you are able to group select lattice points and they transform and deform the object as expected.

It's easier to show it than to say it, I'll test this method on an earlier version of my model now to see if this will work in practice.

# 18 01-03-2012 , 04:38 AM
It's still a bit fiddly, but it seems to work better now. Hey it's all good and I'm learning stuff.

(also, when you select the lattice points, have your move tool selected (or rotate/scale depending).

Last edited by djwaterman; 01-03-2012 at 04:42 AM.
# 19 02-03-2012 , 01:14 PM
So, I seem to have some kind of clipping plane problem in the side view window, see image.
How do I sort that out?

user added image

It just popped up and I don't know what I did to get this problem as
it was all okay up until now.

# 20 02-03-2012 , 01:16 PM
The thin red line
Go to panel,view,camera attributes, near clipping plane................dave

Last edited by daverave; 02-03-2012 at 01:19 PM.
# 21 02-03-2012 , 01:26 PM
Found the side view camera attributes for the clipping plane and brought the near clipping distance back to zero, improved but still clipping.

user added image

# 22 02-03-2012 , 01:37 PM
The thin red line
is it only happening in the side view............dave

# 23 02-03-2012 , 01:39 PM
And it's an orthographic viewport, the default setting on all the others for near clip distance is 0.100. I don't understand why this is no longer working, should I move the camera back?

Hi dave, yes only the side view port.

# 24 02-03-2012 , 01:42 PM
I just moved the camera back to fix it, perhaps I moved it accidentally.

# 25 03-03-2012 , 04:15 PM
I totally realize this project has no wow factor, but I always like to post a pretty complete progress of anything I put up. So, here's an update.

user added image

I've only just realized that you can have wire-frame on shaded in the view-ports, which makes it easier to see the different poly-flow on different objects, helpful when trying to line things up. Slowing beginning to figure out some kind of workflow in Maya that works for me.

# 26 03-03-2012 , 09:34 PM
The thin red line
Make it look real then theres your wow factor.............dave

# 27 04-03-2012 , 09:15 AM
Well I thought I had a handle on the 'Layers' in Maya. But I've been trying to duplicate an object and then put it into another layer, so hard to explain...

I think I have successfully copied a component into a new layer, I toggle the 'V' in the layers and it seem okay, but when I turn off the Layer the copy was made from I find that the new layer doesn't seem to actually contain anything. Only when the Layer beneath it is turned on can I see the object that I think is meant to be in the new layer.

Basically this is really what I'm trying to do. Copy something from one layer, create a new layer and paste it into that new layer.

How is something like that done with the layers? Remove from Layer and add to Layer is not working as I expect it to. This boring problem is stopping me from moving on.

# 28 04-03-2012 , 10:29 AM
The thin red line
What you need to do is delete the history of the dupicated part before you put the part in the layer............dave

# 29 04-03-2012 , 04:38 PM
I sorted out the layers, but it took so long and so many tries that I've forgotten what I did to make it work.
Anyway a little more progress, altered some polyflow on the door, some micro pushing and pulling points all over to sweeten curves, and the beginning of the windscreen frame.

user added image

# 30 06-03-2012 , 10:42 AM
Begs me pardon whilst I put up me latest meager offerings. I got sick of seeing half a car so have started mirroring things.

user added image

I found me the all time motherload of Kombi reference, with someone selling a van and well over 100 photos all up around inside and under of the same vehicle. Finally I am able to really see what it is I'm making and also some small changes will need to be made before I go any further, but at least I'll be able to proceed with more surety of what I'm doing.