Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 30-07-2004 , 07:53 AM

Demo Reel Advice Needed

Hi,

I am a new graduate from UCSD majoring in computer arts. Ive been learning 3D modeling for a little while now and I just put together my first demo reel.

I would appreciate it if some of you with some industry experience or anyone interested in 3D at all could take a look at it and tell me what you think. I would appreciate any suggestions or comments on my work or how my demo reel is set up. I am planning on going to Siggraph next week and showing this. Does anyone think it can get me a job anywhere?

Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

You can see my reel here:
https://www.edmondbina.com/demo.php

Thanks,
Edmond

# 2 30-07-2004 , 01:03 PM
The Maya Mountain
Well, most of my previous comments regarding your reel still apply.

1) Focusing too long on one subject.
2) Not enough variety.

I, personally, would not give you a job based on this reel alone. At best, I would have you do an art test.

The main thing I'd like to see you strive for is more variety in your work.

That's just me though. Different people have different tastes, of course.

Good luck.

# 3 30-07-2004 , 08:05 PM
Hi,

You need to get some modeling on your reel.

You have two things. A subway that is basically a lot of square geometry. A computer board that is nicely detailed and textured.

That's it. There needs to be more...anything on there. They don't really demonstrate great modeling ability in any way.

If you want to do environments, do environments, but something more creative. If you want to do organic, you need characters. It isn't even necessary to have textures on if the model is hot.

Check out:
https://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiral....php?BoardID=3
for some wicked modeling.

sj

# 4 30-07-2004 , 09:02 PM
Subscriber
Well, variety isn't necessarily good. I've talked to a a guy from blizzard and a few from ILM about the demo reel set ups. If you're gonna be a scenario artist or whatever its called, you have to have scenarios like you have there. I took a portfolio class and my teacher having asked many ppl from the Industry he knew, about how the demo reel should look, it should be focused on one area. If you want a 3d modeling job, u do 3d modeling. You want character animation, you do character animation, not detailed modeling. And in video, you need need a wireframe of it, and a flat page texture map. Your best work should be in the beginning, AND state what you are applying for in the beginning. If you're submitting a tape, you need a bars and tone in the beginning to allow the interpreter to adjust the sound and to make sure that the sucky part of the tape don't overlap your reel itself. Plus, add a countdown right after the bars and tone(all these should be fairly fast) and make sure to break the tab off the tape. Other than that, your demo reel cant be no longer than 2 minutes, even 2 minutes is too long. OH...and second most important, YOU NEED DRAWINGS at the end. user added image

# 5 30-07-2004 , 10:35 PM
The Maya Mountain
I agree that a demo should be focused. But if he wants to do, for example, environments like he's got, I think he needs more different kinds of environments then he currently has.

# 6 30-07-2004 , 11:36 PM
Hey,

I disagree. You don't need drawings. It's a nice plus, especially for character modeling, but if your stuff shows you can model, it isn't necessary.

sj

# 7 30-07-2004 , 11:57 PM
The Maya Mountain
couldn't hurt.

# 8 31-07-2004 , 04:24 AM
Subscriber
Yeah, I meant it should be focused on environments and more environments would be great. user added image You dont need drawings, but it helps a helluva lot more. A guy with great modeling but no drawings, vs a guy with just as great modeling plus he has drawings. Who would the one thatll get hired? Now adays in the industry, drawings are used as a language as such to transfer quick messages from one person to another. Plus it saves the company more money if they have an artist that can draw already, so they don't need to hire another. user added image

# 9 31-07-2004 , 07:49 PM
But what if you consider yourself a modeller AND animator, and you have really good work on both subjects. If your applying for a particular position - you can adapt it, but if your just sending your reel to the company, maybe it would work to your advantage to show adaptability. You maybe considered for a number of positions if your work is that good.

Also, while animating a basic 'block character' would do to show character animation, surely it wouldn't hurt to animated a detailed model - showing modelling ability at the same time.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 10 02-08-2004 , 10:02 AM
wow, very impressive. (i'm a newbie so almost anything is impressive for me). but it does look professional.