Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 10-07-2005 , 08:39 PM

Cartoon Dog by kurt...

I started using Maya a few days ago and I found this site and decided to try and make the “cartoon dog” by Kurt Boutilier. Now the 1st problem I encountered was that when I created the Nurbs Sphere and applied the “control vertex” option on it, I couldn’t select the little molding dots…so I decided to put the sphere and all the other objects(except the Plane that has the picture of the dog) in another layer. It worked and I started creating my dog.

The 2nd problem I encountered was in the 3rd video, where you convert the nurbs to polygons. I converted my Nurbs to Polygons for the head and neck…and when Kurt selects the Polygon converted neck and presses <enter> his neck model has the “lines” turn to a black color then he does the same with the head and applies the “Booleans Union” function and his model does what its supposed to. My problem was that when I hit <enter> after selecting the neck nothing happened…I hit <enter> after selecting the head and nothing happened…I clicked the “Booleans Union” action and I get a message at the bottom saying “two items must be selected” so I tried again…this time selecting the head, holding shift, selecting the neck and hitting the “Booleans Union” and poof. My neck and head disappear/ become invisible. I then go to the “display-> show all” and everything shows up except the head and neck…

I hope I made it clear enough…has anyone encountered this problem…does it have anything to do with me adding the 2nd layer???

# 2 11-07-2005 , 06:55 AM
hey!

i had the same problem, that nothing happened when i used <enter>. actually it should work the way you tried (at least it worked for me...). try again and be aware that both polygons intersect properly. i think in the last part of the tutorial kurt has the same problem...and explains it like that.

hope it helps...

# 3 11-07-2005 , 07:45 AM
yes!!! it worked...i had to do it the long way but at least it works...oo and just a question when u go to your <edit polygons->merge verticies> options tab...what # do you see in the <distance> space...mine was deafault at 0.000001 and it didn't work, so i changed it to 1 and worked just fine.

# 4 11-07-2005 , 09:36 AM
funny, i had exactly the same problems... i also solved the problem like you did. i increased the value (don´t know it exactly) and it worked.

# 5 11-07-2005 , 05:28 PM
nice...well thanks for your reply and hopefully ill finish my dog now without any more problems!!!