Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-05-2008 , 12:17 AM
Subscriber

Strange Sub Divs texturing problem

Hi guys

I'm having some issues texturing my Oliphant. I have theses Sub Div sheets. I have UV mapped them alright (Subdiv Surfaces --> Texture --> Automatic Mapping) and then I just applied a simple check pattern.

As you can see something is going wrong. I have included the rendered view and a screen shot of what im looking at.

From my armature eye it looks like there are two objects in the same space but that's not what the Hypergraphy shows.

I would be grateful for any advice you can give.

Cheers all.

user added image

user added image

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 2 15-05-2008 , 06:50 AM
It almost looks like you have a copy under your mapped version.

Open the graph editor pick a node that has been mapped and open it up more you will be able to see if you have a un mapped duplicate attached to it.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 16-05-2008 , 02:11 AM
Subscriber
OK, I have opened the graph editor, selected the 4 planes and as you can see there is something going on.

However I can't delete anything from it and the Hypergraph only shows one object.

user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 4 16-05-2008 , 04:16 AM
Ment to say hypergraph not graph editor..

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 5 18-05-2008 , 12:09 AM
Subscriber
Ok, the Hypergraph doesn't show anything more in depth than what you see on the screen.

I am sorry to a bit of a pain but it looks like you are the only person who knows / cares what's going on with this.

This is the last model I have to complete before I can get my new showreel out. So your help is very much appreciated in this.

user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 6 18-05-2008 , 03:18 AM
Subscriber
I was thinking of the problem (as it is difficult to continue without solving it), do you think it's because of some sloppy modelling.

Constantly switching between polygon mode and the like might have made the meshed buggered (to use a good ol' English expression).

Just thinking out loud and all that.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 7 20-05-2008 , 07:45 PM
Subscriber
Sorry to give this thread a shameless bump, it's just that I am going away for the weekend and didn't want this to slip into obscurity.

Thank you.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 8 20-05-2008 , 08:18 PM
hi Tim... ive attached a pic.. hit the botton above the red dot this should open the node up an you will be able to see if that geo has a duplicate attached to it. It can be a duplicate or maya getting confused with switching from sub d to poly and having both poly and sub-d at the same time. If its the sub-d issue look for the node saying sub-d that match the geo and delete it do not delete the poly node.

Attached Thumbnails

# 9 20-05-2008 , 08:36 PM
Subscriber
Ok, more things for me to work on.

I did what you suggested and had a look.

3 of the 4 planes showed the following. I couldn't see what you were looking for so I just deleted some random nodes and the results were not good.

user added image

However the last plane had something very interesting going on.

The plot thickens.

user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 10 27-05-2008 , 11:05 PM
Subscriber
Just to let you know of one more thing I have tried in my search for a solution.

I have converted the Sib Divs to Polys and Nurbs but it still looks the same.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 11 02-06-2008 , 06:32 PM
Subscriber
I was thinking (as you do) of solutions to this problem and I remember something from my college day which might sort out my problem.

I remember there being a process in Maya where you can transfer the vertex locations from one object to another.

I was thinking I could do that here. Now im not sure how it works. I think I have definitely done it with UV's (something like mirroring) but I thought t would be great if I could do the same in this situation.

Thanks for your time.

Optical Minefield
My Blog