Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 27-01-2010 , 04:32 AM

3D graphics requirement

Hello,

I've been using maya 8 for over a year now and i truly love it. Hope to upgrade to newest version in the near future.
I've been planning to upgrade to a new computer system but I'm not sure what I should concentrate on. Is more memory important for a new system? How about a more powerful graphics card? Does the the system need a powerful chip? Not sure what is more important in the 3D graphics wourld. Any suggestions would be grateful.

Thanks,
Gary

# 2 27-01-2010 , 01:45 PM
Technical Director
Graphics cards are important for issue-free work, however ram is very helpful especially when you hit those higher amounts of polys.

For video cards, you'll want to take a look at the Nvidia Quadros, or ATI FirePros. These are their workstation cards, which are purpose-built for things like Maya. These cards support more features of OpenGL, which is the rendering engine that Maya uses.

Gaming cards have issues with Maya; such as display problems, or even crashes.

The higher-end versions of these cards can be pretty pricey, but the lower-end are quite reasonably priced. Check the Maya qual charts and see what's qualified to run Maya: https://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 27-01-2010 , 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
If you're planning on rendering on the same machine, then you need a fast processor with adequate cooling and a decent amount of RAM. If you're a hobbyist, then a good workstation card may or may not be worth the price tag, the decent lower end ones are around $500. There are many people who use consumer cards with Maya and have little complaints.

- Genny