Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 13-02-2010 , 01:06 AM
Lifetime Member

polygon duplication render problem

Hi guys,

sadly Im back, Im stuck again. I have attached a WIP (very new to this) of a Lancaster Bomber. It is only my 4th model so please be gentle. I have layered my components etc and created the 1 engine ready to duplicate to the other positions. When I duplicate and move the second mesh the 'engine' will render but the prop_cone and blades wont?? I have attached a jpeg for perusal. Any advice would be much appreciated as my Spitfire didnt work out so (from a tutorial) so I went out on a limb on my own.

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 13-02-2010 , 01:59 AM
Super Moderator
They don't seem to have a shader applied to them. No shader, no render contribution.

- Genny
# 3 13-02-2010 , 07:33 AM
select the geometry and apply a shader. It appears for some reason or another when you duplicated the geometry the new objects did not get a shader. There are a number of things that can cause this.

Let us know if applying the shader fixes things. If you want to experiment. select all the original geometry, group it all together, reapply a shader, delete history on everything and then make another copy and see if the shader gets lost again.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 4 13-02-2010 , 08:44 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok ctbram I will give that a shot. Thanks GecT for your help. As I use Surveying software most of the time I thought duplicating would also automatically duplicte the mesh properties. I am new to this type of CAD so I get a bit confused with the property styles, though it is similar. Will keep you posted

Thanks again

GetC I applied a shader to the lot of them. It appears the duplication didnt bring across the mesh/render properties for some reason. Thanks guys!!

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 13-02-2010 at 09:00 AM.
# 5 13-02-2010 , 10:26 PM
The thin red line
Hi bullet1968
You could move this to WIP and get help as you go, my dad flew halifaxs and wellingtons durring the war so would like to see you progress.............dave

ps. was the film bullet made in 1968

Last edited by daverave; 13-02-2010 at 10:35 PM.
# 6 14-02-2010 , 01:20 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi daverave,

how do I move it then?? I have only just got into Maya, having been a Surveyor for 25 years I am looking to do something different in the future. Yes my Grandad was a bomb aimer on Lancs in WW2 as well os Mossies from memory. He sadly passed on but we still have his log books and medals etc. This is only my 2nd real model and the first without any tutorials so its hard. I will move it if you could please assist me to do so??

I am called Bullet because of my speed as a Surveyor, yes Bullit? Steve Mcqueen wasnt it?

Cheers

bullet1968