Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 02-05-2009 , 07:46 PM

Lava, ncloth or fluid effects?

Hi. I'm quite good at maya ncloth in 2008 and have been trying to create the effect of lava flowing down a surface. But is it possible to do this in dynamic particles and is it better? I dont have realflow. Also, I need what I make to be an actual polygon geometry, and not just renderable. Is this possible with fluid effects?

# 2 03-05-2009 , 02:36 AM
Subscriber
Also, I need what I make to be an actual polygon geometry,

what does that mean.., any poly object is renderable unless its been assigned not to via visability or layers, ect??

for lave id be thinking softboby dynamics..,

or in particles..?? maybe 'blobby surfaces.'., whatever they are called.., rendering atm.., so cant check it.

use collision and gravity and some turbulence id guess??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 3 03-05-2009 , 05:55 AM
I personally use real flow which will give you a poly mesh not just particles which is what i believe you where talking about in your post. I am aware you said you dont have it you did mention you where decent at n-cloth ive seent some pretty decent fluid type effects with that but i havn't to much expereince in that field but maybe some experementing could prove beneficial

# 4 03-05-2009 , 06:10 AM
Subscriber
i use real flow too?? but that wont help him.., and i guess he has already tried to experiment with n paricles

before n particles there were soft bodies or particles.., blobbys or clouds would work? all do a great job of this sort of thing.., especially if you animate a bump map over the surface for the smaller details.

i think there may be a lava example in 'fluids' or '.., well somewhere in the visor. could be under n particles??

use an example ocean and change the parameters and shader colors??

id check the free tuts here then if no joy.., google 'lava and maya !!'
because to explain any technique for a liquid is too much for me to.

Melbourne eh?? user added image

# 5 03-05-2009 , 10:44 AM
Have a look in the visor, theres a fluid effect thats close to what your after, I think its called goo collision or something.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 03-05-2009 , 10:31 PM
Melbourne yeh!
You would be able to get a goo lave type effect with real flow and also incorporate rigid bodie ie, rocks and debree. But i do agree with mirek when he says about checking the visor, it would definately be a great starting point.

Mirek: Where in Melbourne you from?

# 7 04-05-2009 , 01:32 AM
Subscriber
im in Adelaide mate, just its a small CGI community here, just wondered if i might know you from the Oz CGI forum.

i love Melbourne, best city in Oz.

catch up for a drink if you find yourself here in Adelaide.

# 8 04-05-2009 , 11:19 PM
sounds good what took you to adelaide?
p.s sorry about drifting from topic a little rejh2 lol

# 9 04-05-2009 , 11:25 PM
Subscriber
was born here, left 30 odd years ago.., traveled and such.., father got sick.., came back to Adelaide and did Uni and TAFE.., still here?? god knows why.., it is a nice city.

have to run out the door now.., catch yu soon