Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 17-10-2007 , 11:06 AM
Subscriber

strange requests

Hi all, I have finally decided to ask.., I reckon at least 5-8 times a year i get requests, which are odd in their contents, wanting help..?? they want my e-mail address and beg for it. I give my G-mail address which i have because I get so many of these odd e-mails and never hear from the person/people again.

some of them seem quiet innocent and some are out right asking me to break the law.., can I have this and can i have that.

this is not new to 'share files' and thats not really the strange part of it.., they seem more.., sinister than that.., and considering the different kinds of e-mail fraud there are, and with AVs getting so good.., this is obviously a way to get into maybe not my system, maybe it is, maybe its innocent.., maybe they want to get into the uni system with my uni address (which I would never give out). I have a number of addresses for different reasons.., and one i have because of these wried pleas for my e-mail address, when its .., strange when its just as easy to help people via this forum

anyway.., i need not say more, everyone understands what im on about

what Im asking is.., am I the only one that gets these e-mails.., which would seem to me often to be the same person using a different alias.., remember all this is speculation.., but it might be of use to the younger ones here.., I dont want to scare anyone.., but the same rules apply here as far as safety on the net as they do anywhere.

anyone else getting these e-mails from time to time??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 2 18-10-2007 , 02:20 PM
mirek03 > 'Hi all, I have finally decided to ask.., I reckon at least 5-8 times a year i get requests, which are odd in their contents, wanting help..?? they want my e-mail address and beg for it. I give my G-mail address which i have because I get so many of these odd e-mails and never hear from the person/people again.'

I'm no expert but this sounds like an attempt to get for email for spam and other illegal purposes. When you reply, they know that the email address is valid and working and they can use it for whatever they want.

mirek03 > 'this is obviously a way to get into maybe not my system, maybe it is, maybe its innocent, maybe they want to get into the uni system with my uni address (which I would never give out).'

You know, I've never heard of hackers attacking a computer via email addresses. It's a lot easier for them just to ping for random addresses then port scan before attacking. Thats why its a good idea to disable ping replies on your internet interface, helps keep them from knowing you're out there.

mirek03 > 'what Im asking is.., am I the only one that gets these e-mails.., which would seem to me often to be the same person using a different alias...'

Check the email headers. They will show you what time the message was sent and from what server and IP address. If all the messages are sent around a particular time, through a limited range of servers with IP addresses that all belong on one company, then it is likely that it is the same person.

mirek03 > 'anyone else getting these e-mails from time to time??'

Sorry... no creepy emails in my inboxes. user added image

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 3 18-10-2007 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber
no creepy emails or PM's also

# 4 18-10-2007 , 06:48 PM
Nope, no dodgey mails, but unless I know who its from it'll get deleted, other than that I could have a ten foot long penis, attract any woman/man and be a millionare via a nigerian funds transfir deals, if I did read them.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 18-10-2007 , 07:08 PM
Subscriber
oh shoot that is what I am doing wrong i click on them and thoguht I would have a ten foot long penis that quick ..hmmmmmmm and man it did not happen ..maybe i should read them instead of just clicking lol

# 6 18-10-2007 , 10:47 PM
Subscriber
my imagination.., maybe they are for real?? maybe some people really do need my help.., though i cant imagine i could help them much with maya.., id have thought Steve or Si would be mmore appropriate to ask??

anyway, i was just asking and now i have an answer.., the answer i wanted.., thanks

'quote' oh shoot that is what I am doing wrong i click on them and thoguht I would have a ten foot long penis that quick ..hmmmmmmm and man it did not happen ..maybe i should read them instead of just clicking lol 'quote'
l
uckily i didnt click.., user added image

Matt, your still watching the threads eh.., put your modeling where your mouth/mouse is user added image
hope things are ok, but by the tone of the reply .., your humor sounds .., well, im not sure im laughing., i could have thought of other ways to get a laugh, .., no problem., hope your OK user added image

Last edited by mirek03; 18-10-2007 at 10:52 PM.
# 7 19-10-2007 , 10:16 PM
Subscriber
no things are not better ...i have not modeled in forever but watched forums daily. i had a huge hard drive crash and lost all work ...too lazy to start again lol

# 8 20-10-2007 , 04:34 AM
Subscriber
if the hard drive is an analogy of whats happening in your life.., get moving dude.., no time to be lazy.., these are the best years of your life.., dont waste them.

maya? well sometimes it can be a drain, but other times a nice distraction.

Architect.., thanks for the logical answer.., ill be looking at those pionts you mentioned.., all good stuff to look for.

# 9 20-10-2007 , 08:37 AM
Subscriber
No, you're not the only one. My girlfriend gets these kind of mails,

...I am Mobuto Hirawali son of the recently deceased king of Swaziland I have inherited 30m dollars and due to the current political situation in my country I will need your help to transfer the money. I am offering 30% of the money for you to keep if you blablabla...

they usually want your bank details, copy of a passport etc. this is soooooooooo blody obviously a scam, but the mails are funny to read

www.animateme.me.uk
# 10 20-10-2007 , 07:23 PM
Subscriber
ha, i dont get many of these kind, i think even 'outlook' the app, can see they are rubbish.., but I got one from Nepal, dammed if i know or not if its for real.., all are asking for help with maya.., and site SM as their reference.., the one from nepal seems the most 'normal' if thats what youd call it. really hard to tell.., but i dont see why people cant ask for help on SM rather than ask for sort of 'private tution' by me.., im the last person.., very busy, not too good with maya.., ect

some of those you and Steve referred to, one has to wonder do they really fool people or is it a probe for the address??

dont want to upset those who are for real..?? what to do??

# 11 21-10-2007 , 01:30 AM
mirek03 > 'some of those you and Steve referred to, one has to wonder do they really fool people or is it a probe for the address??'

I think the mail servers record wether a email you sent was delivered or not. I just blocked a few IPs and the spam now comes from a different address since my ISP automatically sends a 'message undelivered' reply back to the originator.

# 12 21-10-2007 , 02:42 AM
Subscriber
and they sell these addresses?? what happens next.., they get 'yes, this e-mail works ' (one way or another) ad then what can they do?? is it simply to send spam, junk mail?? advertisement??

# 13 21-10-2007 , 02:51 AM
mirek03 > 'and they sell these addresses??'

Probaly. The last few days I've noticed that one spam agency was sending me emails. Now its three.

mirek03 > 'is it simply to send spam, junk mail?? advertisement??'

Probaly malware to make your PC send spam for them. I heard its common these days for spam to do that. In fact one of my other computers got attacked this way a while back and it ate up all the bandwidth and tried to spread to other computers on the network. Luckily I now use Linux...

# 14 21-10-2007 , 05:43 AM
Subscriber
how did you pick it.., now i think we are getting somewhere..,

how did you know your bandwith was being used.., do you monitor and if so.., can you tell me how or send me a PM through SM?? I dont want to be spamming people or be used like that.., especially being tricked in the name of friendship user added image :bandit:

# 15 18-11-2007 , 01:28 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by farbtopf
they usually want your bank details, copy of a passport etc. this is soooooooooo blody obviously a scam, but the mails are funny to read

Even that its so obvious its a scam, some stupid people fall for it. Farbs, you should say that all my informations in this link, whilst in the link is one of them scary ghosts which pops out a certain time user added image

@ Mirek - Nah, never had this man.