Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 01-01-2012 , 02:08 PM
Administrator

December Robot Challenge - Final Entries

Please add your finals for the robot challenge here before the end of January 12th, add as many images as you like and a link to the WIP thread, turntables or other video clips also welcome. Cheers and good luck!

# 2 02-01-2012 , 04:59 PM
Subscriber

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 11-01-2012 , 12:43 PM
Here's my final image user added image It was a really great challenge, learned a lot about myself... As I wrote it in my thread I had an idea of further developing the scene, pushing it towards a funnier direction... Well that was't accomplished here and now. And I'm starting to realize that maybe the robot itself was not right for it... I just tried to force an idea to an existing model. But later on I think I'll try to finish this idea or something similar.

Cheers to everyone, and great work - it was great following the WIP threads, nice works user added image

Attached Thumbnails

For some Maya tips, tutorials and personal insights, nice images etc, check out my blog
https://rencsenyidavid.com/blog
# 4 11-01-2012 , 08:27 PM
Lifetime Member

Final

Well I must say that this has been a great challenge I have learned a ton. There have been some top notch entries and I have had a blast competing against all of you. I kinda feel the same way as Daveido in that I had a hard time trying to do anything else with my model besides a simple standing pose. All of my other poses hid the inner aspects of Astroboy and without the insides Astroboy alone doesn't really look like enough of a robot for this challenge. I am re-posting my video and previous render as well as one new image. So here they are I wish everyone the best of luck and I must say I don't envy they judges everyone's WIP's have been great.

The Video
Astroboy 3D Model - YouTube

The Model
https://simplymaya.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1325190749

Last but not least the Comic user added image (at least that's the look I was going for)

Attached Thumbnails

- Jake
# 5 12-01-2012 , 09:53 AM

LongLeg

hi everybody,

here is my so called LONLEG that I found difficult to finish because insufficient time.There fore I have had to learn the MARI software and applied to the project.I hope you'll appreciate it and promise to do better next time....good luck everybody...user added image

https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36978

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mayayoo; 12-01-2012 at 03:16 PM.
# 6 12-01-2012 , 11:03 AM
Subscriber
Here's my final entry. It has been a great challenge with some really nice looking robots. I'm pretty happy with my own results and it's pretty close to what I had in mind at the start. Learned a ton of new things too. Had never before rigged anything so learned a lot from rigging this robot. And as a true perfectionist I wish I had even more time so I could improve it some more, but like I said I'm pretty happy with the result.
May the best robot win!
Link to my WIP: https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36935

https://img38.imageshack.us/img38/6027/robotfinal01.png

https://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3...botfinal02.png

https://img38.imageshack.us/img38/2269/robotfinal03.png

Last edited by Martel; 12-01-2012 at 11:05 AM.
# 7 12-01-2012 , 08:34 PM
Subscriber

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 13-01-2012 , 12:06 AM
Lifetime Member
Good Luck everyone user added image

The submissions look great, though I feel like someones is still missing?

remember today is the deadline for submissions.

- Jake
# 9 13-01-2012 , 03:27 AM
Lifetime Member
Looking good so far peoples

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 10 14-01-2012 , 02:21 AM
Subscriber
hah, for some reason I thought it was the 15th. I even finished it all too! Woops. Oh well! I guess it was all for nothing! user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 11 14-01-2012 , 06:11 AM
Lifetime Member

hah, for some reason I thought it was the 15th. I even finished it all too! Woops. Oh well! I guess it was all for nothing! user added image

I liked yours, too. I would liked to see who would of won with your project. user added image

# 12 14-01-2012 , 06:13 AM
Administrator
Great robots and really nice work to everyone who joined in this challenge I'm impressed. It's been fun to follow this one and there's been some great ideas so you've made it hard to pick a winner again user added image We'll post up who it will be in a few days time though.

Just add it now don't think it would kill anyone, hurry though! You worked so hard on it and the design's so cool so it would be a shame not to.

Also, where's daverave's robot?!

Here's a Garden-Bot from gtransporter at SimplyLightwave;

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 14-01-2012 , 07:21 AM
Lifetime Member

Great robots and really nice work to everyone who joined in this challenge I'm impressed. It's been fun to follow this one and there's been some great ideas so you've made it hard to pick a winner again user added image We'll post up who it will be in a few days time though.

Just add it now don't think it would kill anyone, hurry though! You worked so hard on it and the design's so cool so it would be a shame not to.

Also, where's daverave's robot?!

Here's a Garden-Bot from gtransporter at SimplyLightwave;

I love the grass and the nest with the bird in it. That was a nice touch to the robot.

# 14 14-01-2012 , 08:24 AM
Subscriber
Thanks StarsAdmirer, I'm quite curious myself!

Thanks for that Miss Nova, I'll attach it now

So here's my robot. It's a desk fan that transforms into a robot with little legs and big gorilla-like arms. He's not the brightest of transformers and his disguise isn't as great as the others as you can see a lot of the 'seams' like he's a toy transformer. He has trouble with his power cord and due to the nature of his transformation his arms sometimes fall off.

attached is him struggling to pull himself free of the power socket and dancing for no apparent reason. Also is a playblast of his transform (turns out I didn't complete the render for it because it was taking such a long time so the playblast should do). It also turns out I can set keyframes on objects that are stuck to set driven keys

Fan bot playblast - YouTube

Attached Thumbnails

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 14-01-2012 at 08:30 AM.
# 15 14-01-2012 , 10:06 AM
The thin red line
Im out of this one lost about two days work totaly my fault, Looks like you have enough good contestants here, wish you guys all the best..............dave