Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 07-01-2012 , 04:11 PM
Subscriber

HELP: The shelf "xxx" has items that cannot be read.

It was a time to defragment my HDD, so I did and now I'm getting this lovely message upon starting Maya:

The shelf "Polygons" has items that cannot be read.
The shelf will only display the items before the first unreadable item it finds.
If you start Maya and save this shelf then you will lose the unreadable items.
This will happen automatically if you have your preferences set to save the shelves on exit.

Continue - Quit Maya

btw. Polygon shelf displays no items at all. My patience's runny thin... I'm gonna google for solution now, and I hope some of you guys know how to fix it... otherwise, in few hours, I will have to re-install Maya 3rd time in 3 months..user added image

EDIT: Ok, it wasn't that hard, removing the 'shelves' folder in 'documents/maya/2012 -x64/pref' seemed to have fixed it.. Thank God, don't feel like taking my computer to a mosh pit any more...

Last edited by nov2011; 07-01-2012 at 04:24 PM.
# 2 07-01-2012 , 04:27 PM
EduSciVis-er
Since the shelves are contained in your prefs folder, just try deleting that folder (make a backup if you wish) and it will be re-generated. If you don't want to delete your prefs, maybe I can send you my shelf_Polygons.mel file.

# 3 07-01-2012 , 10:11 PM
Subscriber
I didn't have to delete the whole prefs folder just the shelves subfolder.. Thanks for the offer though

# 4 07-01-2012 , 10:13 PM
EduSciVis-er
Good, I wasn't sure if maya would know that subfolders were missing, or if it needed to be a prefs level purge.