Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 10-06-2005 , 01:48 AM
Subscriber

jedi Fighter Question

Hi Kurt,

Just got the Dvd today, Great stuff finished watching the first 2 videos and have a couple quick questions. I am familiar with some hard surface modeling, as you can see from my WIP thread on the viper spaceship.

Ok anyways, Just wondering why you chose to go with the poly plane primitive and split poly tool, It seems easier to me to just use create poly tool, to get the shape,it's the same thing I still will have to use split poly tool but it saves deleting all the extra faces from plane primitive? Not sure the benefit to going with the plane primitive.

Also question on the guns. Since it's a basic cylinder shape one could just use a poly cylinder and model it out all one piece making sure I have the proper extra edges around my extrudes but wondering if the poly weight of the scene is easier using the nurbs for the guns, or is it better to go with poly's? Just wondering here as i know if it was poly's the smoothed out version could get heavy.

Thanks Kurt.

# 2 10-06-2005 , 12:55 PM
HI,

For the poly plane question... its pretty much just my preference, ive use creat poly shape a few times I just find i like the plane better for the way I work and figure out my shapes=).

For the guns you are right as well about just extruding the details. When doing a tutsi like to try and show a few different things while modeling when something can be done in both nurbs or polys.

Either way works more comes down to if in a studio setting, which way your boss or the project calls for. The one thing about nurbs surfaces is you get faster detail most of the time then nurbs because you dont have to make sure you have a close edge so when you do smooth it you will keep the shape nice and clean. As far as the weight issuse even with a smooth on it ,it would not be bad for the model. Weight issuse dont apply to nearly as much as in organics because they have a lot less moving parts and you dont have to worry about skinning them. I still try to keep all the models as low as I can its a good practise to get into=)

Hope that helps

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 10-06-2005 , 09:14 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Kurt,

Based on your response I thought I'd give it a go trying to use the create poly tool, instead of the plane primitive and refine the mesh from there..

I took up the challenge to detail out the guns in polys instead of nurbs adding some more detail than in the tut. It went not to bad took me just over 30 min for guns..It would take someone longer but I use MJ poly tools script which really speeds up the poly process by selecting rings and loops and having smart splits on the mesh..

anyways here's a couple views of the gun and the wire of the wing before and after subd

user added image

user added image

base mesh
user added image

subd mesh
user added image

let me know your comments

Think Twice Split Poly Once
# 4 10-06-2005 , 10:11 PM
Pretty neat bud... I'll have a look at the script you where talking about soon.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb