Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 30-07-2010 , 03:03 PM
rm3d

lights in a render

hey i really want a light to shine at my camera, it is a point light and has a lens flare glow attached, how can i render that into the final image, only the light hitting objects can be seen not the actual source! is there a simple tick box to make it visible???

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 2 30-07-2010 , 04:30 PM
EduSciVis-er
Lights aren't true geometry, so they're not going to show up. Besides, a point light by definition is a single point source of light, so even if it was geometry, it would only be a pixel or something. Try creating some geometry, like a sphere around it or just behind it and assign it a simple white surface shader.
Just my thoughts on this, I could be wrong. Hope it helps.

# 3 30-07-2010 , 08:08 PM
Super Moderator
If you're using Mental Ray then it won't show as its not supported. You're going to have to render out a Maya software layer for the glow.

- Genny
# 4 31-07-2010 , 10:01 AM
rm3d
ohh well that makes sense. shame really mental ray practically does everything else. user added image

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 5 01-08-2010 , 08:13 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

shame really mental ray practically does everything else

wait till you get to rendering hair its a whole other story