Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 08-02-2003 , 09:48 AM
Subscriber

creating a shirt?

I made this little cartoonish looking creature. How can I make the shirt looks like a shirt. As you can see, its only textured to his body.

user added image user added image user added image

By poly modelling? or cloth? and how?

Kühl
# 2 08-02-2003 , 12:12 PM
Subscriber
Hmm.. bump mapping could my slightly useful with this model... still, its not clothes.

Can anybody please help..?

Kühl
# 3 08-02-2003 , 12:15 PM
Kevin
well you can get some amazing results just by using polys!

Take a look at Mikes medusa robe:

All poly!

user added image

# 4 08-02-2003 , 01:46 PM
Subscriber
yup kevin... I noticed... but mike is a poly GOD.
But I will try and work on it.
Meanwhile.. heres is a "lucky shot" wheres he "beams"...

Kühl
# 5 08-02-2003 , 01:47 PM
Subscriber
here it is...

Kühl
# 6 08-02-2003 , 02:27 PM
One thing you could do is create, translate, and scale several nurbs circles defining the general shape of the shirt (or just define half the shirt and mirror it later). Once you have them set up, loft them to create the shirt. Then just start pulling/tweaking CVs to get the exact shape you want with wrinkles.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 7 08-02-2003 , 04:06 PM
Subscriber
Good idea Nitro... I will try that one. Do you have any pics where you have done so?

Kühl
# 8 08-02-2003 , 05:04 PM
Not really anything finished but here is an example screenshot I did in a couple of minutes. I didn't really tweak anything but this is the idea of lofting the circles. In a real situation, you'd probably want to angle and shape the circles a bit before lofting. Also, if you loft between each circle individually instead of selecting all the circles and lofting one time, it'll give you more control over editing....this works well if you're modeling overlapping pieces for platemail armor and things like that. Lastly, you can see the collar and bottom of the shirt shape is closed so you'd have to trim those. If you want to see more examples, you can check out this excerpt from one of Peter Ratner's books.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 9 09-02-2003 , 09:34 AM
Subscriber
I tried first to model a simply shirt by polys, but it seems to be very difficult to actually make it LOOK like a shirt.

Kühl
# 10 09-02-2003 , 11:58 AM
Subscriber
I dumped the poly shirt (im not good enough yet) and played a bit with maya cloth :

Kühl
# 11 16-02-2003 , 06:16 PM
Well there you go.. GREAT CLOTH user added image

Hi, im a signature virus.
Copy me into your signature to help me spread!
# 12 18-02-2003 , 10:12 PM
Try to add some polys in spots where the shirt bunches up, like a real one. Such as down by the waist, and if he bends his arm by the sleeve/shoulder. Take a look in the mirror of yourself just standing ... you should have a better idea - or just use some ref pics. They always help me. user added image

# 13 20-02-2003 , 04:12 AM
Subscriber
hey, one thought... why dont you select the faces you want for the t-shirt.. then extrude them out far enough so its "t-shirt distance" from the body (you may have to extrude in sections). Now just take the edges of the t-shirt arms.. and pull those verts down the arm a bit more.. to give that (inwards) look. DO this for both arms, the neck and bottom of the shirt. For the neck you may want to scale back in the verts around his neck so that it looks like the collar is touching the neck. But yea, the t-shirt you have right now looks cool user added image. Maybe try this and then add a slight cloth modifier user added image. Ok, Just a idea, and btw.. very nice alien user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 14 20-02-2003 , 06:39 PM
Subscriber
I HAVE played a bit more with the shirt. However, the shirts still looks a bit too large...

Kühl
# 15 20-02-2003 , 06:52 PM
Subscriber
Im starting over. I make a cool new shirt with maya cloth...

Kühl