Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-12-2013 , 10:19 AM
Subscriber

Texture resolution: a never ending story

Hi all,

I was searching for threads regarding texture resolution. I found tons of them: now i am more confused as before!!user added image
I have in generally a misunderstanding about texture resolution in Maya and I hope you can help me out of this.
I modeled a purification plant and now struggling with texture resolution especially on the big sedimentation tanks which are 25 meters long. Now, putting a texture on a wall of 25 meters, need one of 20'000 MP to maintain that crispy and sharp. I made the texture seamless and I tried to put some edge rings in order to split up the wall in 5 meters segments and project the texture on every 5 m segment with a planar mapping. Now, it is possible to see where every segments starts and end even if the texture is seamless. If I chose a concrete texture with some color nuances then it is more obviously that the objects is putted together.

How can i overcome this issue? And how can I overcome the issue that the textures are so blurry after have mapped the texture in Photoshop? I'm using mainly UV Maps of 2048.

You all, I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Many thanks for your help and support in this forum! It is a great that you are spending much time explaining stuff to Maya newbies like me. Much appreciated!

# 2 24-12-2013 , 11:07 AM
Not quite sure what you mean,
20000MP are you saying megapixels? Thats not true, the resolution you need can be calculated from your render resolution and distance to the object.

For example if your rendering a 2048 x 1716 and your object will only every be half of the screen width / height in camera you only need at max a 2k texture for the entire thing.

Something that might be making your textures blury could be filtering. If you go to your texture node you can change to different and sharper filtering methods to get different results.

There is a strong chance that in your case that if you are using very high resolution textures with bad filtering and low samples that you will get a blurry result. If on a given pixel in a render there are hundreds of texture pixel values to filter you will get a blurry result if your filtering is bad.

Most renderers have a dedicated mip map texture format. For example with pixar renderman there is the TEX format which is esentially many tiffs, when generating a TEX texture from an exr or other image it will make various filtered versions of the texture into a fast acceleration structure so that at render time the appropriate filtered version is chosen for the given distance from camera and resolution. Also the renderer is able to load portions of the texture and then remove them from memory once it is used rather than loading the entire thing at once.

Here is a thread I found on filtering and mipmaping on CG society which covers things well:
https://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/...t-1046149.html

FX supervisor - double negative
# 3 24-12-2013 , 06:30 PM
One option you can do is to choose a cleaner tiled texture off of say CG textures. Then you can extract a mesh ring around the top and bottom of the tanks to apply a dirt or wear decal. This is generally a game engine fix. Another option is to simply scale the uv on a cleaner tiled map. I test tiling quality in photoshop and define a pattern off the swatch to see how good the tile is I am using. Another trick on some things such as bark I skew the uv and it causes a spiraling or wrapping pattern to break up the tiling on my trees.