SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / Transforming polygon faces by their Normals?

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

21-07-2006, 04:44 AM   #1
kavelle

Transforming polygon faces by their Normals?
Lets say I select 10 faces with normals pointing in different directions, is it possible to move each relative to its normal at the same time?? I realize you can align the pivot to ONE of the faces, but I want each to move independently on their own axis relative to their normal. Any ideas??

Thanks!
21-07-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
vladimirjp
Subscriber

unfortunately maya [even v 7.0] still doesnt have a solid tool to move/slide/scale along normal.

but its possible, but only works on poly verts. select the face u want to scale along their normals, then convert them to verts [edit poly>selection>convert>to verts]
then in the edit poly menu there is the move component tool. that will move them locally in the normal direction.
22-07-2006, 07:48 AM   #3
kavelle

Ah, as it turns out there is a very good tool for moving multiple faces by their normals! Thanks for trying though.

Edit Polygons -> Move Component

works just as I wanted!!