Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 23-01-2011 , 07:25 AM

Dynamic Fire

I tried my hand at fire today. I don't have fluids and ncloth and such so I was left using dynamic fire. I think it's ok but it's definitely not anywhere close to the quality of fluidic fire.
Sorry about the darkness of the video, it didn't look so dark when I created it.

Anyway, has anyone had better luck creating dynamic fire? Is this the best it gets or is there a trick to getting it to look more realistic?

YouTube - Camp Fire Animation

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 2 23-01-2011 , 12:31 PM
The Nurb Herd
i don't understand what you mean by dynamic fire? is this something in a newer version of maya?

# 3 23-01-2011 , 03:27 PM
It's actually fire created by particles. It's just found under the dynamic menu set. If you switch to dynamic menu set, it's under the effects menu. There's smoke, fire, lightning, shatter, etc. If you select an object and then click on fire, it creates an emitter. There are plenty of particle attributes you can play with but no matter how much I fooled with them, I just couldn't get a realistic looking fire.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 23-01-2011 , 10:12 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Try using fluids for the general fire effect and particles for the sparks that would come of the logs

# 5 23-01-2011 , 10:24 PM
Yeah, that's the problem, I only have the complete version of Maya, not unlimited so I don't have access to fluids or ncloth, hair, etc.

Exceed Expectations!
# 6 23-01-2011 , 10:50 PM
Subscriber

Yeah, that's the problem, I only have the complete version of Maya, not unlimited so I don't have access to fluids or ncloth, hair, etc.

How did you get the playblast to work?? I've tried the same thing and all I get is green circles moving up.
I think your fire is a pretty nice start. Great job!!!

# 7 23-01-2011 , 11:07 PM
I didn't use playblast but you're correct that playbast just kinda does a screenshot animation. I used Autodesk Combustion. I batch rendered the animation in Maya and then created the video with combustion.

Exceed Expectations!
# 8 23-01-2011 , 11:36 PM
The thin red line
At some point perfecto I hope you can get unlimited as I think you could do great things with it............dave

# 9 23-01-2011 , 11:57 PM
The Nurb Herd

It's actually fire created by particles. It's just found under the dynamic menu set. If you switch to dynamic menu set, it's under the effects menu. There's smoke, fire, lightning, shatter, etc. If you select an object and then click on fire, it creates an emitter.

ohh, i know what you mean. I have never used them tho. I don't think they are very good. At least thats what i've been told.