Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 46 04-11-2006 , 03:34 AM
Subscriber
Hey,

just got back from school. Anyway 99GsTurbo I actually already scanned lion reference for gster123 so I can send you those right away if I get your e-mail. You can PM me.

gster123, I might try remodeling the head as an exercise. I'd like to get the proportions really good at a low poly level and then refine. But I am happy with the body fo now. And the there are starting to be too many poly's so I might delete some edge loops.

# 47 04-11-2006 , 12:34 PM
Subscriber
Here is the new head in low rez. I'm much happier with the proportions. Tell me what you think.

Attached Images
# 48 04-11-2006 , 01:27 PM
The proportions look better, but for me it seems a high poly count for the low poly base mesh.

Heres my lion with the low poly wire and the smoothed version, its still very much WIP at the moment but might give you some ideas.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 49 04-11-2006 , 01:37 PM
Subscriber
Yeah I guess It isn't low rez at this point. I am working from a technique I read in the Maya Hyper Realistic Creature Creation Book, where all the refinement comes from adding edge loops. In this technique you just refine with more edge loops and never smooth or subdivide the surface. This way you never have anything you don't want. I might have it drive a sub-D cage after I rig it.

Your lion looks great, especially for how few poly's you have. If you get the proportins right everything else seems easy. It's interesting how the lion and tiger head differ. Especially in the ears. The lion ears are almost more like a deer's or cow, than a cat.

# 50 04-11-2006 , 01:45 PM
Subscriber
by the way, here's some body updates.

Attached Thumbnails
# 51 04-11-2006 , 01:47 PM
Subscriber
TOPOLOGY!!!!

Last edited by Wishbonekenobi; 04-11-2006 at 01:50 PM.
# 52 04-11-2006 , 01:53 PM
Subscriber
guess it's not working right now.

Attached Images
File Type: png picture 1.png (70.0 KB, 147 views)
# 53 04-11-2006 , 01:56 PM
Subscriber
yes, the head looks much better now it already has a little of that cunning cat expression

# 54 04-11-2006 , 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Wishbonekenobi
Yeah I guess It isn't low rez at this point. I am working from a technique I read in the Maya Hyper Realistic Creature Creation Book, where all the refinement comes from adding edge loops. In this technique you just refine with more edge loops and never smooth or subdivide the surface. This way you never have anything you don't want. I might have it drive a sub-D cage after I rig it.

Your lion looks great, especially for how few poly's you have. If you get the proportins right everything else seems easy. It's interesting how the lion and tiger head differ. Especially in the ears. The lion ears are almost more like a deer's or cow, than a cat.

Is that a good book to buy? I'm considering getting it but i've had some alias books that have been a bit, do this do that etcd without any explanation as to why, that is my opinion though.

Cheers for the comment, think i might start up a WIP thread now its getting somewhere, your right about the differences, for the ears I think the animal I thought of when I was getting the shape was of a donkey!

I try to get as much detail in at the very low stage, moving up by splitting the polys into edge loops moving verts etc then tweaking the shape with the sculpt poly tool to try and get definition, when I get the body shape sorted I might have a play in Z brush to get better definition of the muscles etc and save that as a displacement map, as well as giving the bump map for the nose and whiskers etc.

Cheers

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 55 04-11-2006 , 09:26 PM
Subscriber
Yeah it is a good book. It has a good section on modeling technique. However I highly recomend Maya Character Creation by Chris Maraffi if you are interested in rigging.

# 56 05-11-2006 , 12:09 AM
the head is coming on really well now, you've definately got the general areas pinned down more user added image

reminds me of the basis of the polar bear I did, here was an early stage with the edgeloops showing - they might be quite similar user added image
https://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/po...r/skull10a.gif

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 57 05-11-2006 , 04:05 AM
Subscriber
That polar bear looks nice!

# 58 05-11-2006 , 10:07 AM
Subscriber
Test render

Attached Images
# 59 05-11-2006 , 02:25 PM
definitely a much better head. looks great!

Accept no substitutions.
# 60 05-11-2006 , 02:50 PM
Subscriber
the last render is lovely, well done.
If I can ask a realy stupid question, I ve done some modeling myself so I might unconsciously know the answer to my question already. Your're talking a lot about edge loops to refine your mesh and get more detail, but what exactly is an edge loop?

thanks