Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 61 23-01-2007 , 12:51 PM
Python is a programming language that is almost becoming the norm in 3d apps, so I dont think its a way of getting rid of MEL and then maya. Also the Neuclus dynamics is new for maya 8.5 which Autodesk say is "Autodesk Neucleus" not maya specific, so if you were sinical you could say they are testing it on maya before bringing it out in Max, or on the toherhand that autodesk are pushing maya more than Max as it has this upgrade and Max has'nt.

Think Maya's got a bit of life yet.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 62 23-01-2007 , 02:49 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
yeah its true, Python is more core/API orientated...

_J

# 63 23-01-2007 , 03:35 PM
Subscriber
plus python's multi threaded...

man i cant believe an upgrade thread is turning into a "app-switching" thread.

i dont think MEL is going anywhere... since maya is basically a bunch of MEL [maya embeded language.] scripts on top of the API...
but im no expert, and i dont work for autodesk.

# 64 23-01-2007 , 03:52 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

man i cant believe an upgrade thread is turning into a "app-switching" thread.

I know LOL

_J

# 65 25-01-2007 , 05:06 AM
Yeah your right Vlad.

Think that most upgrade threads since autodesk aquired alias will be the same.

Just got maya 8.5 and I've got to say that other than some menu changes (I was on Version 6 previously) theres not too much difference in the things that I mostly use, the Mental Ray render globals have had a rehaul, so thats going to take some getting used to.

The new ncloth seems to be pretty good with the little play that I've had with it, its almost as simple as creating your clothes as a poly mesh then making it a ncloth object, making your character a collision object and hitting play (There is more to it than that but thats it in a nutshell)

Looking forward to finding more things that have been added since V6

# 66 25-01-2007 , 06:43 AM
Senior Software Developer

Originally posted by gster123
The new ncloth seems to be pretty good with the little play that I've had with it, its almost as simple as creating your clothes as a poly mesh then making it a ncloth object, making your character a collision object and hitting play (There is more to it than that but thats it in a nutshell)

Sounds to me like Syflex TBH. XSI has it built in, maybe Autodesk did the same thing (or did a Microsoft and rippd it off enough to make there own) :p

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 67 25-01-2007 , 07:00 AM
Dunno man, never tried syflex.

Seems a good decent addition though! Much better than the original cloth IMHO.

To me maya 8.5's a good upgrade (from maya 6.0) dont think I will use all the new features though. And I think most of them were in Version 7

# 68 26-01-2007 , 12:51 AM
seems overall a good upgrade, im kinda sad that there is still not really a proper modelling upgrade being done though.. like subdivision that work good, and highlighting tool and all.. though NEX plugin makes up for a great deal it's a shame it's still needed to have a plugin to do that kinda stuff :bandit: