Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 19-04-2008 , 09:34 PM

Texture Assets

Hi All,
Total Maya Noob here, and I am learning how to use Maya to create models for mapping in Call of Duty4... I am following a tutorial I found on exporting models from Maya to COD4 and either I'm missing something "most likely" or the tute is!
I get to a point where the COD4 mapping tools asset manager is converting the assets for game use and it errors saying it is missing the temp texture in such and such folder....
Here is the simple test model I made to do this tute....
I created a poly cube then created new material blinn and renamed it "temp" which is the texture or "asset" that the games asset manager cannot find!
So I guess my question is, where does Maya store all the different textures or assets used for your projects? I looked in all the folders it created in my Documents folder and did not find any files with the "temp" name that I named the blinn material.

Thanks in advance,
0Gravity

# 2 19-04-2008 , 09:41 PM
the actual blinn material i don't believe is placed anywhere... it sounds like it's the texture file that you attach to the material that matters.

but that's just my guess.

sadly for the life of me i can't remember where the image is converted and stored at...

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 19-04-2008 , 10:20 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
The blinn is purely a material. the texture would be loaded via the color channel in the blinns attribute editor. this will then bring up your texture window to choose a 'file', you cant then go and search for your texture on your hardrive.

Maya doesnt store your textures, it merely references them to a location or folder on your PC. so it could be something like C:// documents and settings/texturesfolder>woodtextures> bark.jpg or something like that, so it sounds like your converter needs to be told where to look

_Jay

# 4 20-04-2008 , 12:24 AM

Originally posted by Jay
The blinn is purely a material. the texture would be loaded via the color channel in the blinns attribute editor. this will then bring up your texture window to choose a 'file', you cant then go and search for your texture on your hardrive.

Yes I loaded it via the color channel in the atribute editor, but I did not choose a file from a texture window, I just clicked on the color swatch and selected a color, under the "Common Material Attributes" section, the reason I thought it created a texture file is because in the COD4 asset managers error, it references the Name I gave that blinn when I created it. Here is the exact Error...
Can't find material [temp] in directory 'D:\Games\COD4\raw/material_properties/' or 'D:\Games\COD4\raw/material_properties/' aborting....

So you are right the converter does need to be told where to look....the problem there is ...so do I.....lol

Thanks Again for the help in this matter,
0Gravity

Thanks,
0Gravity
# 5 20-04-2008 , 01:26 AM
then what are maya swatch files for?

Accept no substitutions.
# 6 20-04-2008 , 04:54 PM

Originally posted by NeoStrider
then what are maya swatch files for?

Not quite sure if your asking me this question or adding on to my questions?
If your asking what the swatch that I mentioned is, then basically it is just a color picker, where you click on a box filled in with a color and then it opens a window that allows you to choose another color from an array of colors. Not sure if there is a "Swatch File" as you mention.

The problem I have is I dont know where it stores the information once I choose that color and it applies that color to the blinn material.

Thanks,
0Gravity

Last edited by 0Gravity; 20-04-2008 at 04:59 PM.
# 7 21-04-2008 , 06:47 AM
oh lol no sorry ZG i was asking jay.

why does your converter require a material before it can import anything?

i'd recommend you look into the help files of your converter or on the modding forums for the game you're trying to model for to see if anyone else ran into similar problems or asked similar questions and found the solution.

Accept no substitutions.
# 8 21-04-2008 , 07:23 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
LOL impertinent child!!

the maya swatches are not going to relate to his converter are they? temp texture shading nodes or not.

Jay