Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 06-07-2008 , 12:36 PM
Subscriber

model problem

I created a model of a fetus for a movie.
Every time I try to smooth the mesh, some spots on the model deform.
I've never had this happen before.

I'm not super experienced... I've made a number of models that worked well.
On this one, at the wrists the vertices all come together in 4 spots and "pucker" in - totally screwing up the wrist. Another spot creates a hard edge line of vertices down the skull.

Does any one know if I can save this model - or - do I have to start over entirely?
I can send a screen shot!

I also need to know how to export the model for someone to apply texture in his program - Cinema 4D. I think I need to export it as an object, but, I have not had success in passing it on to the director.

Thank you.

# 2 06-07-2008 , 01:32 PM
it sounds like your model may either not have some vertices merged or some sitting on top of each other from double extrusions.

try merging vertices or the clean up tool and play with the options. post a picture if that doesn't help.

# 3 06-07-2008 , 03:55 PM
Also, try to keep things in quads as much as possible. I often get strange deformation on my organic models when I use tris, although I'm getting better at poly-flow.

~I have no idea what I'm doing~
# 4 08-07-2008 , 09:21 AM
Subscriber

messed up fetus model

OK
I need to fix something I just screwed up with my PC - (I am a Mac user primarily) -
re: the model -
I'm going to try your suggestions. I don't know if I have all quads... that means four vertices on each polygon, correct? Mostly I do.

COULD YOU ALSO TELL ME WHAT TO SET TO EXPORT THIS FOR THE CINEMA 4D producer who wants this model to skin / texture?

thank you - it's great to finally find a community I can get help from!! I'm over 50... most friends haven't got a clue what I'm doing!

as soon as PC is accessible - I have to figure out how to restore Factory settings so my mouse will work again - I'll attach newer photos... these are quite old; not showing problems.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 08-07-2008 , 10:08 AM
where are the problem areas? try posting a screen shot with the wireframe turned on so we can see the geometry of the model. to take a screen shot, use the 'prt sc' button on the top right of your keyboard, then paste in photoshop.

haven't used cinema 4d, but if you find out what file type it uses and have a look on the export options you should be able to figure it out.

user added image

# 6 08-07-2008 , 11:22 PM
Subscriber

as soon as PC is working

I have Vista - what a loser OS.
I need to restore system due to mouse not working.

I'm a Mac user.

Anyway - I cannot do the screen shot til OS is functional with my mouse again - will post as soon as I can.
Thank you -

I believe the Cinema 4D opens .obj -
how can I learn about the settings for exporting the mesh?
Thanks again!

# 7 08-07-2008 , 11:23 PM
Subscriber

expert options

Where do I find info on the "expert options" you mentioned please?

# 8 09-07-2008 , 02:26 AM
Senior Software Developer

Re: as soon as PC is working

Originally posted by robodog
I have Vista - what a loser OS.
I need to restore system due to mouse not working.

I'm a Mac user.

People in glass houses should not throw stones...

This is a typical closed minded responce from a typical mac user.

I have used Vista since its public launch (on and off, due to lack of drivers support at the begining), but have been using it for over 1 year and must say its far better than any of the other OS's (except 2000 Pro). Anyway I won't rant on as I do usually, but...

WINDOWS ROOLZ :attn:

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 9 09-07-2008 , 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Re: as soon as PC is working

Originally posted by R@nSiD

.....WINDOWS ROOLZ :attn: ...

Fanboy :p lol jk but seriously though, Vista isn't as horrible as people make it out to be, some seem to have endless problems with it, some don't, personally I think its ok as long as you ditch the vista theme/visuals.

- Genny
# 10 09-07-2008 , 09:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: as soon as PC is working

Originally posted by GecT
Fanboy :p lol jk but seriously though, Vista isn't as horrible as people make it out to be, some seem to have endless problems with it, some don't, personally I think its ok as long as you ditch the vista theme/visuals.

Wait a second... I thought that Windows Vista's purpose in life was to provide millions of eye-candy-deprived users with modern gradients and 3D effects!

Will somebody please think of the eye-candy-deprived users! user added image

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!

Last edited by The Architect; 09-07-2008 at 09:13 PM.
# 11 10-07-2008 , 05:01 AM

Re: expert options

er... not sure how this thread got on to vista...

Where do I find info on the "expert options" you mentioned please?

anyhow, the 'export' options are under the file menu. not sure where the 'expert' options are. let me know if you find them.... user added image

# 12 10-07-2008 , 06:07 PM
Subscriber

export

yes, thank you.
I know the place to find the "export"... but, I also know there is some other setting - I cannot remember it.
But thanks. If anyone else knows the step, sotospeak, before you actually export the object, please respond.

PS Mac's come with a boot-up disc. You can easily restore your system and search for issues with the utility on the purchase package boot up disc. Why is HP / MicroSoft forcing people to pay $49 (minimum) to their phone service engineer to learn how to reboot from other than the startup drive? Why not supply a disc with the purchased hardware? I went to see if a disc came with the box, but, alas... no.

This is corporate greed. I'm sorry if it stirred "brand loyalty". I am fully aware that Apple also has its pitfalls in terms of what they require you to lay out financially... it was a lighthearted put-down. For a lot more money, you do get some valuable stuff that makes dealing with Macs easier.

# 13 11-07-2008 , 01:09 AM

Re: export

yes, thank you.
I know the place to find the "export"... but, I also know there is some other setting - I cannot remember it.
But thanks. If anyone else knows the step, sotospeak, before you actually export the object, please respond.

PS Mac's come with a boot-up disc. You can easily restore your system and search for issues with the utility on the purchase package boot up disc. Why is HP / MicroSoft forcing people to pay $49 (minimum) to their phone service engineer to learn how to reboot from other than the startup drive? Why not supply a disc with the purchased hardware? I went to see if a disc came with the box, but, alas... no.

This is corporate greed. I'm sorry if it stirred "brand loyalty". I am fully aware that Apple also has its pitfalls in terms of what they require you to lay out financially... it was a lighthearted put-down. For a lot more money, you do get some valuable stuff that makes dealing with Macs easier.

er... my hp laptop came with 2 discs and didn't cost me anything to talk to someone on the phone. also, without my requesting it, they called me up a couple of days later to make sure that the problem i was having was completely resolved, so not sure what you're talking about.

all of the export settings will be under the options box.

# 14 11-07-2008 , 01:54 AM

Re: export

Sorry to jump in on this, but its not a Microsoft issue, the OS supports thousands of different configurations, not the strict set hardware configs that macs have, its the manufacturer's issue. Macs are supposedly more stable as the hardware is so so strictly controled (not that i've seen more stability with them tbh, as its down to the software more than anything) but therein is the major problem. You try upgrading a mac to the latest hardware, but as you say you get a nice little disk that sorts it out.

Then again you can just pop the windows disk in and go for a repair, or use system restore to go back to previous settings...

For how much apple charges for hardware and with the lack of avialable configs and future upgrades, I personally think that there not a viable option, look good though!

As for exporting to C4D I would go with obj, as it preserves the UV's, you may have to start up the obj plug in in the plug in manager which is in Windows-> settings/Pref's->plug in manager.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 15 11-07-2008 , 03:59 AM
Subscriber

thanks for help

my desktop with Vista came with no disks and I still have no mouse so I have to pay $49 - $119 to get it reinstalled from the "upgrade" disc they have in package. 1.3 years old = no free support.

hopefully this is resolved soon
trying to get HP to respond to me to get it running.