Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-12-2011 , 01:00 AM
3d n00b

Combine vs Parent

When making a model with multiple pieces that sit together which is the best to use. Obviously parent is probably better for texturing purposes. when would I want to use combine or vice versa?

# 2 07-12-2011 , 01:28 AM
EduSciVis-er
You should use parenting and grouping unless the mesh is actually going to be contiguous. There's no point (that I can see) to have two "items" as a single mesh unless they have common edges, if you get what I mean.

# 3 07-12-2011 , 10:01 AM
The thin red line
Stwert is right in whats he said but there are times when you need to combine a mesh with multiple parts, say you want to bake a texture out if there are 20 different meshes you will get 20 textures combine the meshes and you will get 1 texture. I allways separate the mesh after doing this(just select the mesh then press separate) also works for mirroring.......dave

# 4 07-12-2011 , 11:57 PM
Hi.

I'd normally combine objects that are going to share the same material/UV space.

cheers

gubar