Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 22-08-2004 , 11:21 AM

Sharp edge after smoothing

I am in grate need of your help friends!!!
I am working on some kind of robot and I need to convert it to sub-d to modify my model with Full Crease and Partial Crease options but when I want to convert my poly model into sub-d nothing is happening. Or if there is another way to make some edges sharp before or after smoothing the model please tell me. Here is picture of what I am talking about, this stomach muscles need to be with sharp edge but everything else needs to be poly smoothed!! Please answer me quickly and thx in advance!!!

Attached Thumbnails

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

Sorry for bad English, See ya
dead mosquito-blog-on english too
# 2 22-08-2004 , 04:03 PM
Subscriber
Select th eedges you want to be smooth and choose EditPolygons>Normals>Soft/Hard options and set to Smooth. Select all the edges you want to be hard and do the same thing, only making them hard with the Soft/Hard normal command.

edit* -or if you actually want to perform the smooth operation on specific parts of your model, it's just a matter of selecting the faces you want to smooth, then using the Polygons>Smooth command.

# 3 22-08-2004 , 06:17 PM
Ok thx mate ill try it and post my resoults later, i can`t just select all faces that i whant to be smoothed cos geometry will be mesed up!!!

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

# 4 22-08-2004 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber
first it should be telling you why your not able to get it in to subD. After you try, open the script editer and have a look. Had it happen to me just last night.. It wouldn't go to subD becouse it had more faces than the minimom that was set with the slider.

putting edges close to other edges befor a smooth on the hole thing can make a nice crease. Takes a little practice and trile and error also.

# 5 22-08-2004 , 08:43 PM
Jes there is limit with slider i think abouth 1000 and there are few more faces in my model user added image, well i tryed the Darkware solution for this and it`s nice but there must be some twiking after, but its ok and thx again for all of your help hope that you all like my robot when i post it in few days!!! See ya m8s