Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 05-05-2004 , 04:27 PM

My self-portrait Head-although not Maya

Hello everyone, I am fairly new here, but I wanted to post one of my VERY FIRST human head model I am working on with a combination of Rhinoceros and a program called 3D Viz, which is pretty similar to 3D Max, although the model was about 80-95% modeled using Rhino by lofting NURBS curves/splines and then adjusting the points. The head is mainly now in polygonal form, and I am alternating it between the two programs. I just wanted to post it for any comments or suggestions for any of you that really know how to model using either one of these two programs. This model is not quite done, but I wanted to post it for review for my first head model!! I am also still fairly new at using 3D graphics programs, as this is only my third project so far!

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-05-2004 , 05:13 PM
Here is the image of the original curves and first loft. This is just to show how far I have gotten so far since I first started on it.

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 05-05-2004 , 05:17 PM
Not bad for you first go at a head..... just watch some of the rough spots on the face.. try and smooth them out a bit more.

Keep it up...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 06-05-2004 , 02:54 AM
Thanks Kurt for the compliments and the advice about smoothing the face some more! user added image Your compliments are greatly appreciated since this is my first human head model! user added image One person kind of degraded my work a little on the SimplyMax forum, since all they said was negative comments and did not point out the good parts about it, since all they said was that they did not like the hair, thought I needed to improve my skills on the nose, and they said I should be using "Polygons." I am not going to change it now though, and so far I am satisfied with it! They were helpful in providing me links with tutorials, but other than that they did not seem to like the work, oh well. Anyway, any further comments, ideas, suggestions, etc. are greatly appreciated from everybody!! Also, here is the slightly updated images of my head, where I added the hair in the back, and I found a previous copy of my head where the edges around the eyes are not so sharp. Still need to find a way to smooth them though.... user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 06-05-2004 , 02:56 AM
And here is the side view of my head so far.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 06-05-2004 , 03:21 AM
Ya about all I would do is play with smoothing the skin out as much as possible around the eyes and sides of the lips... It's better than my first model when I started.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 7 06-05-2004 , 05:48 AM
Hi again Kurt. Thanks again so much for the compliment about my first head model! user added image I am really hoping it turns out well! I will continue to post more of it as it progresses. Yeah, I agree that the corners of the mouth and around the eyes are what really need to be smoothed out the most, and I have been trying to smooth the area around the eyes out, but to no avail so far! I guess I will need to think of another way to fix it....

# 8 06-05-2004 , 07:30 PM
Nice modeling user added image

# 9 06-05-2004 , 08:30 PM
Subscriber
Great start, wish I had made that as my first model. The best advise I can offer is to look for as many different methods as you can. You might get lucky and find one that is perfect for you or you may need to combine a few. Either way you'll learn alot from reading and watching how other people work.

Keep up the good work user added image

www.snipersupplies.co.uk
# 10 07-05-2004 , 04:06 AM
Thanks both lonepig and dragonsfire for the compliments about my self-portrait head model! That was really kind of both of you! user added image Awhile back when I first started this head, it actually looked more like a male humanish-alien like head, even though as you can tell it was SUPPOSED to be a female HUMAN head, lol!!!!!!!!!!!! I decided to post it on here for fun and laughs!! I don't know if I still have the file though....I may have saved over it, but I do have these model screens of it!!! If I can find this older model of my head, I want to texture it to look more like a humanoid-alien, lol!!!!!! user added image If I can do this I will be sure to post it! Anyway, here is the perspective view of this male-like "humanoid alien" head model

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 07-05-2004 , 04:07 AM
And here is the mesh around the model in the perspective view of this "male humanoid alien" of my female human self-portrait head, lol!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 07-05-2004 , 10:44 AM
Subscriber
I must say you have some nice progress from that alien user added image
How is it working in 3D Viz? I tried Rhino a couple of years ago and thought really well about it then. Have you tested working with Rhino/Maya anything?

- S

Stefan Doverud
<a href="https://www.doverud.com/">www.doverud.com</a>
# 13 07-05-2004 , 11:20 AM
Well it was not really supposed to be a humanoid alien....that was actually my self-portrait human head in its earlier stages, lol! Thanks for the compliments about it though stedo! The two posts I made before the two "alien head" posts are the actual more recent self-portrait head model (the woman head with the hair with the front and side view). I hope to texture the self-portrait head to look more like myself! user added image As far as this "alien-like human head," I think I may have lost the original model by oversaving it as my self-portrait head continued to progress. user added image So....it looks like no texturing of this "humanoid alien" head will ever really happen. Actually transferring Rhino to VIZ/MAX really is not that hard. I save it as a 3DS or IGES/IGS model (as long as ALL of it is NURBS for IGES/IGS) and it works great in VIZ or MAX. I have not tried a Rhino/Maya combo yet, but I really want to try it.....you never know what is possible! user added image 3D VIZ, which the most recent version is simply called "Autodesk VIZ," is VERY similar to 3D Studio Max, but just some things are changed around in it. If you are familiar with 3D Max, then the transition between the two isn't that much different....but it is possible VIZ may not have all of the same features as Max. We use an older version of VIZ (before Autodesk took over I think), so I do not know the features in the more recent version.

# 14 07-05-2004 , 11:38 AM
Subscriber
Ah, now I remember what Viz is. Havn't used it though.
I used to work in 3dsmax, but have "switched" to maya now (still do some things in max, it's convenient when you know your way around the program to get a quick render sometimes). Maya has a much better feel to it, an the GUI kicks max ass anytime.
Still have to get the hang of the hypershader and texturing in maya though. Can't really texture anything at the moment. user added image

And I ofcourse understood that the later posts were older images of your model. it's looking really good now if I may. Just something with the eye/eyelids that look a bit odd to me, can't really point it out..

- S

Stefan Doverud
<a href="https://www.doverud.com/">www.doverud.com</a>
# 15 07-05-2004 , 01:33 PM
Hi again stedo! Yeah, well I am not as familiar with VIZ as I am with Rhino, I guess since I am beginning to get pretty comfortable using NURBS now, where VIZ is better at editting Polygons and at rendering. I am still fairly new to 3D Max, but I really want to continue learning the program as well as Maya. Hopefully one day soon I can start posting works from Maya on this forum! user added image Also, stedo, thanks so much for the compliment on my self-portrait head model! user added image I think what you are probably noticing about the eyes is the "wrinkles" around the eyes. I have been trying to smooth them out, but to no avail. The head is in POLYS right now, so Rhino can't really help much with it. I tried a "Relax" in VIZ over the area around the eyes, but that did not work....is there anyway to do it in MAX to smooth out the area? If anyone can tell me, I would greatly appreciate it! Since I am considering character modeling to become my career, I really want to learn all I can about these programs. What do you all think would be the best for me to do though? I am an undergrad. at college right now majoring in Computer Art, but only ONE course is offered in 3D Modeling, which I am taking now. I really would love to continue learning these programs and creating projects, but does that mean I should go to Grad. school for computer animation, or is there another alternative so I will not need to go to grad. school? Or should I just use the programs, read tutorials, and teach myself? Also, do any of you know any good schools in or close to Maryland with a good education in animation so I can receive a grad. degree if that is the best alternative? Any help or advice would be appreciated! user added image Also, once I get the chance to work on my self-portrait some more, I will be sure to post the updates! user added image