Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 11-09-2006 , 12:40 AM

Benchmarking

A friend of mine bought 4 grand worth of hardware and wanted to see how fast it could go. He downloaded SiSandra to benchmark it when he came across a warning message about potential damage to his hardware and asked me about it. I had no idea so I'm asking you.

Does benchmarking (or running sucessive benchmarks over lets say ten minues) do any damage in any way?

# 2 11-09-2006 , 03:44 PM
I think its a legal thing that just makes sure that if anything goes wrong that the benchmark company wont have to pay out.

I dont think that there should be a problem IF the hardware has been professionally produced and there are no problems in the actual installation (loose wires, dodgey fan connections etc) or the design of the cases etc (for overheating etc) as they push the PC pretty hard to get the bench mark scores.

# 3 11-09-2006 , 03:54 PM
Oh, so its one of those legal things. I hate them - they have no logic what so ever. I also hate lawyers - unless they work for me.

Anyways just wondering what you mean by professionally produced. Do you mean assembeled by a professional or actually made from silicon by a professional (company)?

On the subject of professionals, I once had the honour of looking at a fualty new workstation of a friends that cost six grand. The 'professional' guy who put it together put the USB cable on the motherboard the wrong way round. Thats why I perfer to assembed everything myself. This a bad idea?

# 4 11-09-2006 , 04:57 PM
Well, I meant if it was "Professionally Built" so to speak, if you know what your doing then it should be fine, I think the agreement is so that if your PC overheats and blows a componant then they are not responsible as it could have been a companant that faulty, not the software.

I cant see why running a benchmark on a well built PC would be a problem anyway, sisandra is a good tool for seeing PC speed and is quite widely used so again I cant see a problem, just keep an eye on everything to make sure.