Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 07-12-2002 , 07:58 PM

Point light with optical effects help!!

Hi Maya doods/doodettes,

I'm trying to achieve a 'Mother Earth' scene with Maya, ya know, the Sun crescent ascending over the horizon (kinda classic), the prob is that i'm using a point light as the sun with optical FX, but no matter what i seem to do with the optical FX or render globals, the light shines 'through' the spheres {Sphere 1 is a phong with reflectivity set to 0} {sphere 2 (outter) is a lambert with transparency set to half} {glow type is linear with no halo} the point light is way behind the spheres?? what have i done wrong?

# 2 12-12-2002 , 06:24 PM
Subscriber
i've been looking for a solution to this, ever since i saw your post... sad to say.. still no solution, but i have recreated the anomaly

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 3 12-12-2002 , 06:25 PM
Subscriber

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>

Last edited by iron_tick; 12-12-2002 at 06:42 PM.
# 4 12-12-2002 , 06:46 PM
Subscriber
from what ive been looking at, it might have something to do with the camera perspective. not sure though... this just shouldnt happen.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 5 12-12-2002 , 09:56 PM
Thanx, irontick, it's a strange one alright, it acts as if the 'edges' of objects aren't solid, i've gone into the 'planets' attributes and tried literaly everything, so it cant be the nurb or poly's fault, i've tried every conceivable attrib of the point light too, maybe your right about the camera thing, lol, thats the only thing i haven't tried messing with yet, i'll give it a go user added image

# 6 13-12-2002 , 02:57 AM

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 7 13-12-2002 , 03:17 PM
Great link nitro, cheers m8, not sure if it will solve the prob, but the shader is ideal for the kind of scenes i'm after user added image

You're a font of knowledge when it comes to good tutorial links, nice one user added image

# 8 13-12-2002 , 03:27 PM
Always happy to help. Cheers! user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 9 16-12-2002 , 03:37 PM
Subscriber
Great site, but alas, it did not solve the problem. I dont understand, why does maya do this instead of doing it right? I tried a little post editing and got it to work but,... its a whole new game. I know maya has got to be able to do this.. It does all those other things, so its got to be able to handle this little problem... user added image

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 10 16-12-2002 , 09:29 PM
Subscriber
ok, is this what your trying to get to?

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 11 17-12-2002 , 01:25 AM
close, very close, weird thing is that now the light seems to jump in front of object as soon as the rays and lens flares come into action user added image 'cos what i'm after is a 'still' of the sun coming over the horizon of the earth, with a kind of 'diamond ring' illumination and about 1/3 of the sun showing, but that looks closer than i've had it yet, i heard tell somewhere that Maya doesn't handle 'real' light very well and that theres a plugin somewhere that will enable more real dynamic light effects user added image maybe i'm asking too much of Maya alone?