Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 10-02-2007 , 12:38 AM

Why is Maya ignoring me?

I'm having trouble with creating fields and rigid bodies. Sometimes it works, but other times when I go to the field I wish to create or select "create active/passive rigid body", I don't get anything at all. The little text line at the lower left just says, for example, Turbulence: create turbulence...etc... while my mouse is on it in the pull-down menu, but then it disappears when I click on it and nothing happens. No field, no rigid body, nothing. This only seems to happen on some of my files, I've gotten it to work before, but can't figure out why some perfectly files just won't accept any fields or rigid bodies in them.

I tried copy-pasting a couple of fields from a successful file into an un successful one, but to no avail. I can't seem to link the fields to the objects in the file they've been brought into. Are there any tricks for copy-pasting/exporting to other files? Better yet, how do I coax my Maya into being less moody and letting me use all of its tools in all files?

P.S. I'm using Maya 7.0 for mac

Thanks!

# 2 10-02-2007 , 07:21 AM
Subscriber
Are there any tricks for copy-pasting/exporting to other files?

Never did have maya be that unresponsive towards me, although I did manage to 'break' a lot more scenes when I was newer to it. I still don't know what I was doinguser added image

Have you tried selecting your objects and then doing an export? I've found this to be a succesfull method of getting objects out of a broken scene and into a fresh one, ready to start anew.

Just select the objects and export. Then create a new, empty scene and import. I guess you could probably just open the file rather than importing it, though I've got a feeling there was a trick here, and the two ways of getting the data back did not have the same result. But it's been so long I forget. to be honnest.

Hope that's of some use to you.
S.

# 3 12-02-2007 , 11:31 AM
Thanks for your reply!

I had tried exporting without getting consistent results, but I've discovered that just closing and reopening the file seems to work. It's a bit weird and disconcerting, but as long as it sort of works...