Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 10-03-2010 , 09:22 PM

3D environment artist

Hey guys,
I have another question. What does it mean to be an environment artist, can you get a job just as an environment artist and can you make a living off of it?
What are all the things that environment artists do?
Also how hard is it to get a job as an environment artist and is it even worth doing?

Last edited by Aurorap; 10-03-2010 at 09:24 PM.
# 2 12-03-2010 , 10:14 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
An environment artist makes well...environment assets, Ie: anything from landscapes to buildings. And these positions are required as much as say a character artist. If you are any good and have the right skills a company may want, then yes you can make a living at it.

I primarily regartd myself as a modeler so I get to build characters and environments - regardless

cheers

Jay

# 3 12-03-2010 , 01:27 PM
The Maya Mountain
As a professional environment artist myself (and having just released a book about it) I can attest that yes, environment artists can make a good living. In my experience in the game industry, there are usually more environment artists than any other kind of artist, simply because the asset list needed for your typical game is much longer for environment assets than, say, characters and effects.

For the game I'm working on now, for instance, we have a team of 6 environment artists and 2 character artists.

As for what exactly I make, feel free to take a look at https://srv01.simply3dworld.com/showt...threadid=33151 where I posted a portion of the work I did for my last game project.

# 4 12-03-2010 , 03:27 PM
thanks guys!