Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 03-05-2004 , 03:41 AM

Help! Mental Ray Question/comments suggestions.

Hey guys. I have always used Maya software renderer to output my projects. I now want to use Mental Ray but can not find where it is. I looked in the Render>RenderUsing> menu but all that is there is Maya Software and hardware renderers.

I am using Maya 5.0 and downloaded Mental Ray 1.5.1 and 3.2.6 and installed them. They said they were installed but they do not come up in the menu. How do I load Mental Ray up into Maya or do I open a script or something? Any help is greatly appreaciated.

Also, Does anyone recommend any other ways to render projects which look photorealistic? Other plugins or programs??? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-05-2004 , 06:45 AM
Go to **Window>Setting and Preferences>Plug-in Manager.** Now check the boxes that say load and autoload for the one named "MayaToMR". Viola.

# 3 03-05-2004 , 09:04 PM
Subscriber
it does not matter which render you are using... (although mental ray has got the FG, GI, etc) .. achieving photoreallistic renders depend upon your skill, lighting, modelling accuracy and the way you have put everthing together... even factors such as proportionality of the size of the object to the surrounding is also considered..

i have seen brilliant results with the maya renderer itself.. in which lighting and shading are the key factors...

go ahead and look for some lighting and shading tutorials ... might help!