Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 27-02-2005 , 01:24 PM
Subscriber

Dreamcast

hey all,

i'm modelling my good old dreamcast. thought i'd share some pics along the way and see what you think of it. i especially would like to hear what you have to say about my mesh, in particular around the holes. i try to stick to quads and want as few of them as possible.

bye and thanks.

oh yeah, i have another question too. when i want to snap a couple of verts to the x/y/z-value of another vert, only the one first selected snaps. the rest just keep their distance to the snapping one. anyone know what i should change in prefs/settings to get rid of this? it's kinda annoying to have to snap every vert apart.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 27-02-2005 , 01:25 PM
Subscriber
mesh

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 27-02-2005 , 02:00 PM
Subscriber
Nice model

I think the snapping problem is somewhere in the move tool options, but I can't remember what it's called... Just double click the move tool icon

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 4 27-02-2005 , 04:00 PM
You need to open up the move tool options and turn off retain component spacing when trying to snap, Also make sure it's in world coordinates.

# 5 27-02-2005 , 04:35 PM
Simply Maya OG
I always thought Dreamcasts were skinnier....oh well. Looks good so far tho. user added image

- Hybrid
# 6 27-02-2005 , 04:49 PM
Subscriber
Very cool :tup:

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 7 27-02-2005 , 05:33 PM
ide like to comment... but i dont think ive ever seen a dreamcast.... Looks about right as far as consoles go though.

# 8 27-02-2005 , 08:19 PM
Subscriber
thanks blomkaal and geemge for helping me out with the vert prob! should speed things up when i start working on this again.
will post new images sometime this week. this should be my first maya model i will finish. i always quit halfway when i'm stuck. user added image

I-Iybrid: yea... i do agree. it looks kinda wide... but then again: i measured the outer dimensions of my dreamcast, so they should be ok. maybe it's the camera settings? focus distance or something, anyone know more about that? i'm never sure what kind of values i should use in the cam settings...

thanks

# 9 28-02-2005 , 03:32 PM
Subscriber
update

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 28-02-2005 , 03:34 PM
Subscriber
and a view more from the side

and another question. there's text on the buttons, which is situated a little deeper than the top of the button. i created polygon text and tried to do a boolean difference operation with my button. both the text and the button disappear. what is the trick here? can someone help me out on this one?
thanks,

tiz

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by tiz; 28-02-2005 at 03:50 PM.
# 11 28-02-2005 , 06:28 PM
Subscriber
You could probably make the text in Photoshop and then convert that to a displacement map to model the text into the button.

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
:: Dr. Emmett Brown
# 12 01-03-2005 , 05:40 PM
Subscriber
yea sjurick... i thought about that, but i want to model text... just for practice.

and another update.

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 01-03-2005 , 10:27 PM
Subscriber
ok understand. if your booleans are disappearing you probably need to delete history on the object you are booleaning, like the button. try that.

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
# 14 02-03-2005 , 07:16 AM
Subscriber
thanks for the tip sjurick. it worked partly. user added image kinda weird. one of the buttons is the "open" button. so i created the text "open" with the create text option and extruded the faces. i deleted the history on all objects (button and text) and was able to do a boolean operation with the "o" and the "e". with the other two letters, everything disappears. also, combining the letters helped nothing. i tried quads and tris on this... anyone knows what's causing these problems?
thanks,

tiz

ps whenever i try to do a boolean operation, objects tend to disappear in general, not only text. so i usually model holes and stuff in objects by hand. only with text... it would be too much work... so i want booleans! user added image

# 15 02-03-2005 , 11:23 AM
Subscriber
Try some of these steps:

1. Make sure normals are pointing where they should be. You may have to turn on backface culling.
2. Make sure you not using nonmanifold geometry. It'll be the death of your mesh.
3. Save your scene under a new name, clear your history, go into hypergraph and delete any hidden nodes.
4. Make sure you aren't trying to difference over boarder edges.