Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 02-09-2009 , 09:46 PM
Subscriber

second attempt at a human

Ive thried to model a man before but i didnt know enough about anatomy so ive gone away done some figure drawing and generally looked at the human firgure some more and here is my second attempt

i only started today and have spent about 9 hours on it so lots more to do!

user added image

user added image

user added image

and the smoothed version

user added image

Last edited by dandexter; 02-09-2009 at 09:49 PM.
# 2 02-09-2009 , 11:36 PM
Subscriber
This isnt bad but it needs allot of retopologizing.How did you create the body with a box or cylindar.

# 3 03-09-2009 , 09:30 AM
Subscriber
thanks very much!

i used a box for the torso then used a cylinder for the leg the merged the vertices

although i dont know how to get more definition on the leg!

and sorry but what do you by retopologizing?

# 4 03-09-2009 , 01:35 PM
Subscriber
What you want to do is use a cylindar for legs,torso,arms ,basically everything but the head fro which you would use a box .Much easier when it comes time to smooth .What i mean by retopologizing is you want to take and reshape the body or the model.

# 5 03-09-2009 , 01:41 PM
Subscriber
ok brillant thanks very much im going to leave this one and start again thanks for the tips!

# 6 03-09-2009 , 02:36 PM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by fusedgore
What you want to do is use a cylindar for legs,torso,arms ,basically everything but the head fro which you would use a box .Much easier when it comes time to smooth .What i mean by retopologizing is you want to take and reshape the body or the model.

i disagree user added image

# 7 03-09-2009 , 02:41 PM
Subscriber
how would you go about it hammer?

# 8 03-09-2009 , 03:56 PM
Subscriber
Hammer if you dont use a cylindar for your bodies lets see some of your human models .By the way use a box for you hands as well.I guess its all on personal preference to .

# 9 03-09-2009 , 04:38 PM
Subscriber
here is a female i did a while ago .With cylindars for body,legs,arms,and boxes for hands and head .

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 03-09-2009 , 05:49 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by fusedgore

I disagree too...

But not about the method of modeling, everyone has their own, but you are wrong about rotopology. Retopologizing is not simply re-shaping the body nor the model. Retopologizing is recreating the mesh, the geometry, building new, and preferable, edge loops and structure. It has nothing to do with 'reshaping". Most of the time the shape is already there when you retopo a model. Your just building new Geo on top of the model you already have.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 03-09-2009 at 08:04 PM.
# 11 03-09-2009 , 06:23 PM
Steves right, the shapings modeling, the flow of the geo's topology.

Personally I disagree with the cylinder method, prefer the control over a cube myself for the torso, and then poly by poly for the legs and arms, but thats me, and it appears to work quite well I think... But I wouldn't say that its the only way.

You find what suits you.

dandexter - Its worth keeping in mind all the methods and trying them, then using or building your own method from them

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 12 03-09-2009 , 06:27 PM
The thin red line
Hi I am new to maya but come from lightwave were you get a better flow by using splines(curves) do you not use curves for modelling a man or woman? just a question dave

# 13 03-09-2009 , 06:49 PM
Well what i read so far is that you all use Cubes, Cylinders to model ?

Am I the only one who are using only plane ?
I start from plane and go for the model... it's really easy !

I really find hard to model a head using a box and looping it ...
Or to make leg with looping cylinder ...

But that's just me user added image

# 14 03-09-2009 , 09:24 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by daverave
Hi I am new to maya but come from lightwave were you get a better flow by using splines(curves) do you not use curves for modelling a man or woman? just a question dave

you can use NURBS, there are people who do that in Maya

i've tried both NURBS and polygons, can't really say one is better than the other, but if I use polygons i extrude everything out from a box...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 15 03-09-2009 , 10:39 PM
Subscriber
That what i said its all on personal preference ,but lemme ask this .

if you tore your legs off would they look like

1 A box
2 a cylindar
3 a Torus

If you tore your arms off would they look like which one ,or your hand ,or head or hands or feet .

Thats why i use a mix of cylindars for the legs,arms,torso,not really the neck because that gets shaped and extruded from the head box ,and boxes for feet and hands .But like i said in my previous post its all on personal preference .Now the hair on the hand is a whole different beast in its own right .Again personal preference but i use a weird method probably .I duplicate faces where i want hair ,apply a fur style to them ,then go with shave and a hair cut plugin .