Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 30-09-2009 , 04:03 PM

Skinning

i have a problem

when skinning weights on a polygon, the last bone weight does not get properly distributed.

My question is what is the method of skinning in maya that will give me a desirable result. i.e.

how is it possible to bind weights from bone to vertices, without any problem.

Brgds,

Brijesh

:headbang:

# 2 30-09-2009 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber
paint skin weights...or use the component editor...
i forget the exact location of this operation (might be in the shelf by default) but if you go to the maya tutorials (that come with maya) then you can see the tutorial on skinning

there is no one-click-does-it-all-solution due to the unpredictable nature of skinning

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 01-10-2009 , 04:22 AM
one pretty useful thing i found is changing the influences per vertext or max influences or something when you hit smooth bind go to the option box it is set by default to like 5 i usually have it on about 3 but deffinately agree with chirone i havnt really used the component editor too much but painting skin weights is a great visual way to see whats going on

# 4 01-10-2009 , 11:53 AM

Skinning Problem

Thanx for ur suggestion can u ( anybody ) explain something about How to use toggle hold weights and Flood.....!!!

Brgds
Brijesh

# 5 01-10-2009 , 08:20 PM
Subscriber
hold weights just fixes the weight on your bone so that it can't change
so if you hold it at 0.8 and adjust the other weights on the other bones that influence that vertex then it stays at 0.8 while the others change

flood changes the weight of the entire array of verticies on the mesh to the value of the weight you've selected.
so if your weighting value that you will paint on is 0.8 then you click flood then all possible verticies will have a weight of 0.8 for that bone

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D