Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 09-05-2008 , 03:09 AM

Creating Custom Shaders

How are shaders created? Are they done in photoshop or some other type of program?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 2 09-05-2008 , 06:24 AM
Subscriber
What exactly do you mean by created?

A shader in maya is created procedurally by maya. Shaders are all the default nodes in maya. A Texture would be the image mapped to a shader.

You can use any image creator to create your own texture files, but you have to put them on a shader to get it onto your object.
I hope that makes sense.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 3 09-05-2008 , 06:27 AM
Acid44
what he saiduser added image

# 4 09-05-2008 , 06:29 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by acid44
what he saiduser added image

You are far too flattering Acid.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 5 09-05-2008 , 06:51 AM
Acid44
user added imagei was gonna say basically the same thing but you got to it first

# 6 09-05-2008 , 07:47 AM
I meant creating my own shaders for objects. Like if I wanted a weird metal shader, could I create it in photoshop and then make a custom shelf in hypershade for it?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

# 7 09-05-2008 , 08:09 AM
Acid44
yep

https://www.3dtotal.com/

look at some of the free tuts on there and oother sites (i cant think of any others right now) if you need help to figure out howuser added image

# 8 09-05-2008 , 08:13 AM
Hello there Anthony:

A shading network is a collection of connected rendering nodes that defines how colors and textures contribute (usually with lights) to the final look of surfaces (materials).
A shading network typically consists of any number of connected rendering nodes plugged into a shading group node. (For more information about render nodes, see "Render nodes" in the help.)

A good portion of your time building shading networks is spent connecting node attributes to each other and adjusting node attributes to describe what a surface should look like and how it should be positioned.

To build shading networks, see "Overview of building shading networks" in the help.

Below is an attached picture from the help to better explainuser added image

Also, for more information on what a shader is, and how you make and apply them to your geometry, see the following chapter in the help:

Using Maya
-Rendering and Rendering Setup
--Shading
---About shading and texturing surfaces

The gold icons signify detailed help.
The Blue icons signify tutorial-style instructionuser added image

Good luck, and welcome to the community!

Attached Images

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 9 10-05-2008 , 03:46 PM
Cheers guysuser added image
This is just what I was looking for.