Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-02-2008 , 09:10 PM

Camera tumble issue

Alright, spent way too long messing with this yesterday so I'm throwing it out to the public commons.
Due to a HD crash this is a fresh install of Maya 8.5 and after getting all my settings and controls set back up I'm having an issue with the Camera tumble tool not pivoting as it should. It will ONLY pivot from the camera point itself regardless of what settings are checked - in other words I'd really like it to tumble around the selected object. I played with checking and unchecking every box in the Tumble Settings and none of them act differently. Have tried resetting all preferences, resetting the tool, etc.
While it doesn't prevent me from working, it's bloody annoying for a workflow when you can't rotate around the object you're working on.

What am I missing here? I've already stumped our other in-house users. :headbang:

# 2 03-02-2008 , 10:17 PM
Jr.Who
Did you try hitting F to frame the object?

# 3 03-02-2008 , 10:20 PM
Yup, the camera still pivots in place regardless of where the object or cursor is on the screen.

# 4 04-02-2008 , 12:33 AM
Jr.Who
Hmm…… how about clicking on the compass in the top right of the perspective view (try clicking on the center square)?

# 5 04-02-2008 , 06:35 PM
The compass works just like the F key as a workaround - at least it centers the selected object and rotates around the center, but I still haven't been able to get the camera to tumble around the actual selected /cursor object.
Tumble settings I now have set to 'Tumble Pivot' which allows my workaround so far. Seems kindof backwards honestly - as soon as I switch to 'Center of Interest' or check the 'Tumble on object' box the camera goes back to pivoting on it's own center.
I know it all worked before I had to reinstall so I know it's possible, just not sure what's causing it. I remember having to play with it the first time too to get it to work right...which again seems anti-workflow for a default setting.

# 6 04-02-2008 , 06:52 PM
Lifetime Member
Just an idea but have you checked the movement options tab of the camera attribute editor?
Make sure Use Pivot As Local Space is unchecked.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 7 04-02-2008 , 07:38 PM
Arggg.. I just had the same problem I didnt understand what was going on... then after reading the last post.... I checked the camera views in the out liner and saw persp wasn't there?!? I thort why not u can't delete it then I noticed it was parented (for some unknown reason) underneath the top camera view!

# 8 04-02-2008 , 07:41 PM
That sounded great - but noticed that checkbox isn't even present under the Movement Options rollout...

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 04-02-2008 , 07:46 PM

Originally posted by purebuu
Arggg.. I just had the same problem I didnt understand what was going on... then after reading the last post.... I checked the camera views in the out liner and saw persp wasn't there?!? I thort why not u can't delete it then I noticed it was parented (for some unknown reason) underneath the top camera view!

Was worth a look - but no dice there either. Nothing parented camera-wise. This is an issue I have with any file - even new environments with a default setting. Will keep that in mind tho.
Thanks

# 10 04-02-2008 , 07:47 PM
funny, thought it might have been cos it only just happened to me, and you were saying the exact same problem that happened with me at the same time...

# 11 04-02-2008 , 07:55 PM
Lifetime Member
sorry it was just a thought and must be new attribute in Maya 2008.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 12 04-02-2008 , 08:00 PM
Was a good thought...we're trying to talk the company into getting licenses for 2008 but not enough ppl here use Maya to justify it. Think we have one license (was mine actually) but I'm restricted to 8.5 just due to compatibility on the project =p

# 13 17-07-2008 , 02:18 PM

compass

my compass is desapear do ennyone know how to get it back please help me

# 14 17-07-2008 , 11:32 PM
In the preferences window, there's a tab for the compass, which has a hide/show button.
user added image

W.I.P's
-
Finished work
Mech
# 15 18-07-2008 , 10:51 AM
thanks but that are in the lerning edition i have maya 2008