Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 09-04-2010 , 12:11 AM
Subscriber

Ancient Tomb

Good evening once again everyone!!

I have been looking for something to do and have started a few things, but did not want to spend the time on them. I was looking through some CD's I have and on the Total Textures # 8 'Tribes & Civilizations' there is this picture in the tutorial section. The lighting did interest me and what more could be done with it.I had gotten the bundle of Total Textures when I first started working with 3D, as I figured that would become a big part of it all. The tutorials from them are more guidelines than a tutorial, so these are old. The textures all came with the CD, so that will make it a little easier. I am just interested in playing with it and learning from it right now.

Anyway!! ;-)

I have started to do this as a project and wanted to post it up before I progress. Thought it may be fun to play and a learning experience with such a scene.

I will post a second message with what I have up to now. I needed to use more geometry on two, of what I call 'Beauty Walls', as they will be displaced. I had also hoped to do more to the actual Crypt itself and make it more interesting!! I have not done any flames in a scene and wondered if a of stand with fire may be nice. Having a lot of what my Father called 'Pipe Dreams'. But will try and do what I can.

That is my hopes anyway! But I always remember "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride!! ;-)

Have a good evening all!!

Attached Thumbnails

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 2 09-04-2010 , 12:12 AM
Subscriber
And where I am now!!

Cheers everyone!!

Attached Thumbnails

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 3 09-04-2010 , 12:20 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Looks like a nice start. Not much to crit at the moment.

Is that Max?

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 4 09-04-2010 , 01:53 AM
Subscriber
Steve, the screen capture is from Max. I do all my modeling in Maya and my rendering in Max. I am much more comfortable with Maya to model. Need to use Max more, but not right now!!

Have been following your guys ideas for a challenge. Had thought if it was something I could pull off, I would like to try!!

Thanks for your comments!!!

# 5 09-04-2010 , 08:54 AM
The thin red line
Hi Tom
Look farward to your updates, are you going to model the wall or use some form of map..........dave

# 6 09-04-2010 , 10:08 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Tom

good start, dont forget to add bevels and roundness to all those corners, it will give it that extra realism.

Cheers
Jay

# 7 09-04-2010 , 11:05 AM
Lifetime Member
Good start Tom, how do you get it dimensionally correct??? eyeball it or does Maya have a HUD dimension as you create the model?? I know you can inquire one but does it give you size as you go??

cant wait to see some more man!

Cheers bullet

depends on the pipe, for the dreams mate. A fire would be good as an offset for the eye. Drapes maybe??? plants, something to make it less historical if you are going to make it that way.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 09-04-2010 at 11:08 AM.
# 8 09-04-2010 , 05:30 PM
Subscriber
Good day!! Thank you all for your nice comments!! It is nice to get up and have a project to keep me busy!!

Jay, thanks! I have taken your advice and went around and added some border edges so I can smooth things. I am not much for the bevel or crease tool, just old habits I suppose to do my own.

Bullet, you ask how I get my proportions. In this case what he explained was not much and nothing about measurements. I use my eye, I suppose. But looked for clues. I knew he had used the texture from the disk for the beauty walls, I call them. And using that as a guide I use his render to figure where things should be from there. Hope that made sense!! I use Vray to render, and it is very critical that everything is to world scale because of the way it uses computes lights. Sometimes that is a problem when I work between Max and Maya. Max does not like things that are small, and Maya does not like things that are too big.

Dave, thank you!! And I am very pleased that you watch my work!! Yes, I plan on using the same texture that he used on the wall. I thought it was very good!

Once again, thank you for visiting my project and leaving comments!!

# 9 10-04-2010 , 12:42 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi Tom,

thanks for the heads up. I think they call them 'feature' walls these days, hahahah.

The reaso I asked about dimension is in autocad when you create something it will show you the size (in the format you require, Imperial or metric). Maya has units and I assume they are im millimetres.

Anyway good luck with it, I will be watching this project closely. I am keen to see how you go about it as I would like to do similar things for staging my models.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 10 10-04-2010 , 01:38 AM
Subscriber
Feature Wall? Well that certainly makes more sense than 'Beauty Wall'! ;-) I will start using that!!

Bullet, yes Maya uses units. I will say what I do is when I have my scene ready from Maya, I take it to Max and make a cube the dimensions of what I want (ie: 20ft by 20ft by 10 ft). With Max I use feet and inches when you create something I know that it is to World Scale. And I scale my model, or scene, to fit inside the box. Then I take it back into Maya and it will be the right size.

I have already found an area I need to correct in my scene. The hallway was too wide and have corrected that.

Bullet, thank you for looking at and following my project!!

# 11 10-04-2010 , 01:55 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi Tom,

now that you point it out its either to wide or too short. I think you will be able to find (normal door) sizes and or dimensions on the archeoligist sites? they would have collected data on structural sizes Im sure.

As for the ask in 'when in time' you are going to do this, if you put a fire in it (which will look good) I think it needs more in it?? ATM it looks like a 20th century discovery so if you put thi fire in you will have to make it 'in time' if you know what I mean.

Drapes. plants etc to compliment the urn?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 12 13-04-2010 , 05:56 PM
The thin red line
Any updates Tom

# 13 14-04-2010 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber
Good evening everyone! I know it has been quite awhile since I have updated my project. Well. had a fan go out on my video card and that took a few days. Had some company for a few days also, that was a good thing! ;-)

Bullet, I am hoping for the 20th Century Discovery look. The thought of the flame was just that whoever found it saw there was enough oil to light it. Just had never done a flame and thought it may add some atmosphere.

I have gotten back to work and I should have something by tomorrow.

I thank you Dave for checking on me. I do get off on tangents sometimes! ;-)

Cheers everyone!! To many smiles!!

# 14 14-04-2010 , 01:40 PM
Lifetime Member
hmmmmmm Hi Tom, agreed I think. I would have either suspected a 'live' scene or as you say a 20thC, in the modern one I would have liked SPIDER webs etc hahahahahaha, mutant zombies and a GIANT DROPBEAR. Kidding mate, kidding. Nah a flame in a copper urn near the door to represent it having been tipped over on exit and was in the way upon entry??

I still think the tapestry ripped and weathered maybe on the feature wall???? Maybe a few pots (cracked etc) laying on the floor? If we stick with the 20C stuff would you also maybe put a bag or something on the ground near the wall??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 15 20-04-2010 , 02:11 PM
Lifetime Member
heeeyyyyy Tom, how is that tomb going???

cheers bullet

bullet1968