Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 30-06-2004 , 07:19 PM

Surgery / Incision Animation

Hi,

I was wondering if people could help me decide what is the best way to animate cutting skin with a scalpel. Basically I just want to make an animation of a scalpel making an incision. What would I use and how would I animate the skin cutting open? I was thinking of simply putting two planes side by side and opening them up on one side with the CVs. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for your help.

# 2 30-06-2004 , 09:46 PM
Subscriber
There was a similar sort of question asked by a 3D World reader a while ago, in the Q&A section. I don't have the article in front of me right now, but I remember the answer involved creating a crack (or incision in your case) in the surface and then creating polys to fill in the gap. Dynamics were then used to control the way the pieces fell.

Not totally relevant to your problem, but I would think you could use something along the same lines.

I'm sure there are better and easier ways of doing it, but as I'm a newbie, I don't know. Somebody who has more experience with Maya will probably have a better suggestion.

Good luck with it, anyway.

# 3 01-07-2004 , 12:02 PM
use blend shapes to do it. Rigid bodies will not help you in this instance.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB